[lg policy] Fwd: Treatment of Language in the National Education Policy

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 14:29:35 UTC 2015

From: Sreekumar Prabhakaran <pskduindia at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 1:41 AM
Subject: Re: Treatment of Language in the National Education Policy
To: "P. Sreekumar, Dravidian University" <linguafranka at yahoo.com>
Cc: "E. Annamalai" <annamalai38 at yahoo.com>, Anvita Abbi <
"Subrahmanyam P.S Prof PS" <subrahmanyamps at yahoo.co.in>, "P. Selva Kumar" <
pselvakumaar at rediffmail.com>, Subbachary Pulikonda <psubbachary at gmail.com>,
"Prabhash J." <drjprabash at gmail.com>, Siddik Rabiyath <
siddikrabiyath at gmail.com>, Rajasekaran Prof <rajasekharan245 at yahoo.co.in>,
Chinmayi Vijyan <chinmayvijay at gmail.com>, Basavaraja Kodagunti <
bkodagunti at gmail.com>, Palani Rajan <gprajancuk at gmail.com>, Vidhu Narayan <
vidhunarayan at gmail.com>, "editor at madhyamam.com" <editor at madhyamam.com>

*Comments*

This is a response from a Prof. Bernard S Comrie
<http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/bernard-comrie> a linguist with
world repute and good friend of India. I cite from his comments “*Protection
for potentially threatened languages needs ideally to start before they are
endangered. *This can be an imperative to Indian.

Regarding the proposal of ‘Indology’ again i cite*  [..]one no longer has
departments of Indology, Sinology, etc., but rather of Indian/South Asian
Studies, Chinese Studies, where a particular region is studied from various
perspectives (e.g. linguistic, literary, historical, socio-cultural, etc.).
(In German-speaking countries, by contrast, the corresponding terms
Indologie, Sinologie are still quite usual.). When you discuss about
Indology his observation help us as a statement of fact across the world.  *

*We should be thankful to Prof.* *Bernard S Comrie for spending time for
our nation. I am very seriously waiting ti listen from Prof. Anvita Abbi *