[lg policy] 3rd/final call (for speakers & spectators): 'UK language policy after Brexit' free conf, Thurs 15 Sept 2016, Sheffield

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Mon Aug 22 20:59:31 UTC 2016

In case you missed my first two egregiously cross-posted advertisements... please do
come along to this one-day conference, Thursday 15 Sept in sunny Sheffield.
https://go.shu.ac.uk/uklangpolicybrexit. We'll talk about Brexit more than UKIP! (Too
soon?)

Anyway I promise to stay mostly quiet on the day itself. The deadline for abstracts
is this Friday, 26th August (for spectators it's Thurs 8 Sept). We've already had a
very impressive selection of abstract submissions, from education to policy to
literature studies, from across UK and from the USA too. Then there's the plenary
talk by Professor Rob Dunbar (University of Edinburgh):
http://www.ed.ac.uk/literatures-languages-cultures/celtic-scottish-studies/staff/professor-rob-dunbar.
I know I'm hardly impartial but Rob is probably the best possible person to discuss
all this, with his many and varied experiences in language policy across the UK.
We're exceptionally lucky to have him. He'll be discussing possible effects on both
'autochthonous' and 'allochthonous' languages, and on the myriad EU-funded language
policy programmes like Mercator. His full abstract will follow shortly on the
website, but his talk promises to be quite an education.

The event is free (or will be unless we're really inundated, in which case we'll need
to raise a small fee just to help with catering). As above, non-presenting spectators
are welcome, as well as speakers.

And as I've said before, this event is more about informed speculations than precise
'research findings' or clear plans. And you're welcome to propose all manner of
different formats of contribution, from mini Pecha-Kucha type presentations to
regular talks to larger workshops. We might even find space for poetry recitals and
interpretive dance. These political developments are all so recent, this event is as
much for mutual head-scratching and group-hugging than for crystal-clear enlightening.

Please register (whether you're speaking or spectating), at
https://go.shu.ac.uk/uklangpolicybrexit. Directions and other practicalities are on
that site too - we're a 3-minute walk from Sheffield train station! And we have some
funding to cover childcare at the university nursery!

Please distribute this to anyone who might be interested, and please plug this in
your networks - for those on Twitter, you could simply retweet my announcement here:
https://twitter.com/DaveJSayers/status/760475869177610240

Any questions, please do get in touch. Hopefully see you here in Sheffield!

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers, ORCID no. 0000-0003-1124-7132
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University | www.shu.ac.uk