[lg policy] What gets lost when English becomes the lingua franca of the Internet, and the world?

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 15:52:06 UTC 2016

What gets lost when English becomes the lingua franca of the Internet, and
the world?
By Katy Waldman <http://www.slate.com/authors.katy_waldman.html>
[image: Illustration by Jon Chadurjian.]

Illustration by Jon Chadurjian.

*The Fall of Language in the Age of English*
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/0231163029/?tag=slatmaga-20>, by the Japanese
novelist and scholar Minae Mizumura, has all the ingredients of a
rage-read. Indeed, when it was published in Japan in 2008, it infuriated
commentators
<http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2015/01/03/books/book-reviews/novelist-mizumura-fights-arrest-fall-japanese-literature/#.VK7cuWTF8fM>,
who dismissed Mizumura as “reactionary,” “jingoistic,” or “elitist” and
swarmed across Amazon deleting positive reviews. More than 65,000 copies
have sold since then—which suggests the slender work’s declinist
soothsaying continues to touch a nerve. The book appears this month in
English (enemy territory!), where—if we Yanks could be trusted to read
something first penned in a non-Western tongue—it would likely inspire more
umbrage, more name-calling, more amorphous unease. The book’s basic
premise, developed in a sinuous line through seven chapters, is that every
language creates and nourishes untranslatable truths. Dominant languages
infuse their verities into the wider world, crowding out alternative
visions from more minor tongues. Linguistic asymmetry isn’t new—over the
past two centuries, Latin, classical Chinese, and French each took a turn
in the sun—but never has one language so completely eclipsed the rest,
Mizumura says, as today, in the age of the Internet, with English.
[image: Katy Waldman] Katy Waldman
<http://www.slate.com/authors.katy_waldman.html>

Katy Waldman is *Slate*’s words correspondent.

   -
   -
   -
   -

And have you heard? English is a tuneless, careless juggernaut! English has
a tendency to favor science over art, sound over image, market value over
intrinsic cultural worth. (For Chrissake, English spawned *Harry Potter
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/059035342X/?tag=slatmaga-20>*, which Mizumura
clearly wants to assign to everlasting torment in its own circle of hell.)
Her disdain—mostly implied, but sometimes explicit, as when she describes
Americans as “grown tall and stout on too many hamburgers and French
fries”—might lose Mizumura some Anglophone readers. But it shouldn’t. Every
writer need not love English, or English speakers. And we might benefit
from attending to the critiques of someone who refuses to kiss the ring.
Privacy <https://s3.amazonaws.com/gm-privacy/privacy.html>