[lg policy] Over 50 Nigerian languages are rapidly fading

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 15:58:28 UTC 2016

*Over 50 Nigerian languages are rapidly fading and might become extinct if
nothing is done, the Linguistic Association of Nigeria (LAN) has warned the
federal government.*

LAN said unless proactive steps were taken, more than 50 minority languages
in the country might cease to exist in a few years.

Chinyere Ohiri-Aniche, president of LAN, made the disclosure in Jos on
Tuesday during the five-day annual conference of the association.

Represented by Harrison Adeniye, the LAN president said the moribund
minority languages are important to the cultural good of the country,
hence, the need to revive them.

“Let me use this opportunity to advise the Federal Government on the need
to reawaken the national language policy project which is moribund already.

“There is also an urgent need to establish language centers to prevent
possible extinction of most minority languages in the country,” he said.

“We would like to use this opportunity to remind you, sir of the promise
made on behalf of the university to establish the centre for minority
languages in your institution.

“We know this centre when established will go a long way in documenting and
revitalizing well over fifty languages, most of which are moribund,” he
added.

https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/nigeria-50-languages-extinction/