[lg policy] Cross-Canada Official Languages Consultations 2016

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:22:46 UTC 2016

Cross-Canada Official Languages Consultations 2016 Dec 8, 2016, 1:30 PM

GATINEAU, QUEBEC--(Marketwired - Dec 8, 2016) - Department of Canadian
Heritage

The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage, today announced
the end of the public component of the cross-Canada consultations on
official languages. The Minister will be holding a meeting in Ottawa to
review the situation with organizations that work in official-language
minority communities and promote linguistic duality.

The consultations, which took place from June through December 2016,
consisted of round table discussions held in each of the provinces and
territories. The public also had an opportunity to complete an online
questionnaire.

All of the round table discussions were led by the Minister or her
Parliamentary Secretary, Randy Boissonnault. Several ministers and members
of Parliament also participated in the discussions to become more familiar
with official languages issues and the realities of official-language
minority communities.

The consultations were open to Canadians from all walks of life. The online
questionnaire gave them a chance to express their views on Canada's
language policy and the realities of their communities.

The data gathered online and during round table discussions will give the
Minister food for thought on the key issues and actions to focus on in
developing a new multi-year action plan for official languages.

Minister Joly would like to thank Canadians who took part in the
consultations.

*Quotes*

"These consultations gave me a chance to see just how much Canadians across
this country care about our two official languages, which are fundamental
to our Canadian social contract. The stories, experiences and challenges
may vary from one region to the next, but there is no doubt that our
official languages are an integral part of our identity. I will continue to
reflect on the situation so that I can come up with a new action plan in
2018."

- The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage

"Citizens raised important issues, like French education in early
childhood, bilingualism, the situation of English speakers in Quebec, and
engagement between speakers of English and French. Our official languages
remain an area where issues affect people in their everyday lives."

- Randy Boissonnault, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Canadian
Heritage

*Quick Facts*

   - A total of 22 round table discussions were held in all of the
   provinces and territories, during which more than 350 leaders and
   stakeholders were heard.
   - Nearly 6,400 people completed the online questionnaire, which is
   double the number of the previous cross-Canada consultations.
   - The media were invited to all of the round table discussions as
   observers, and the public was able to view webcasts of some of the
   discussions from start to finish.
   - A total of 90 briefs were submitted by organizations and individuals.
   - A report will be posted soon on the Consultations
   <http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1455565579172/1469650435435> webpage.

*Associated Links*

Cross-Canada Official Languages Consultations 2016
<http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1455565579172/1469650435435>

Roadmap for Canada's Official Languages 2013-2018
<http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1457029880818/1457029949239>

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cross-canada-official-languages-consultations-183000101.html