[lg policy] Fwd: [Linganth] ICASS IX Language Session - Linguistic Economies of Place

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 16:16:31 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jenanne K Ferguson <jenannef at unr.edu>
Date: Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 3:39 PM
Subject: [Linganth] ICASS IX Language Session - Linguistic Economies of
Place
To: "linganth at listserv.linguistlist.org" <linganth at listserv.linguistlist.org

Hello all,

The Languages Section of the Ninth International Congress of Arctic Social
Sciences (ICASS IX) in Umeå, Sweden, 8-12 June 2017, is still looking for
submissions for papers! The deadline is 16 January 2017.

In particular, we'd like to draw your attention to section 11.3:

*Linguistic Economies of Place:*

Throughout history, languages have been made into a powerful tool for
making and unmaking boundaries between people. With the idea of people as
having a single language and a single geographical space/territory,
language (and ways of speaking) became ideologically, politically and
emotionally linked to both ethnicity and territoriality. Language thus has
evolved into (and been maintained as) one of the main principles of social,
ethnic and territorial definition and differentiation, i.e. of defining who
we (vs. they) are and where we belong. Language thus has a capacity to
index place or implicitly link people to particular place-based or
territorial identities. However, as part of changing political environment
and the ongoing negotiation for control over lands and resources in recent
years, we can observe shifts from language and ethnicity to territoriality,
where “land is often taken as more iconic of identity than language”
(Schreyer 2016; see also Krupnik and Vakhtin 2002: 19, 34).

Here, we define 'linguistic economy of place' as how language,
territoriality and conceptions of belonging/identity coincide (see Schwalbe
2015). Drawing on Bourdieu’s (1992) notion of linguistic capital, where
language is seen as a social relation within system of exchange, and on
linguistic ecologies (Mülhäusler 1996), we are interested in how language
may be a symbolic material commodity that circulates in a situated manner,
gaining value from its connection to the places in which it is spoken
and/or written. Our panel seeks to investigate how both language and
territory (linked to these ideas of belonging) can become resources for
(re)creating identity - be it regional or ethnic.

We wish to explore how these ideas of belonging to a particular place,
expressed and signified in a language, form an inseparable part of local
language economies, i.e. systems of valuation and display applied in a
group’s dynamics. We are also interested in exploring how these ideas of
language and land together are linked to claims of ownership or
responsibility, and how they figure into the “rhetoric of othering”
(Riggins 1997), solidifying the boundaries between groups. Finally, we seek
to better understand how these ideas of belonging might be contested within
the global economic market (e.g. trends in global discourse, like
sustainability discourse and/or ‘save the Arctic’ discourse?) and the
on-going shift from ethnicity to territoriality (or trans-territoriality).

For full call for papers and abstracts and submission information, please
see:
http://www.trippus.se/web/Presentation/web.aspx?evid=l+
k2p0UcaP8eXy9TNfnXsQ==&ecid=loNJV+HVzL0o7zbDGv/zsQ==&ln=
eng&view=category&template=desktoph

Please feel free to write to Jenanne Ferguson (jenannef at unr.edu) or Daria
Morgounova Schwalbe (daria.schwalbe at gmail.com) with any questions.

Thank you, and we hope to see you there,
Jenanne and Daria

Jenanne Ferguson, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology