[lg policy] Language Policy and Human Development

Selma K Sonntag selma.sonntag at humboldt.edu
Thu Dec 29 18:52:48 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I’m a political scientist who has been working on language policy issues
for eons. The article announced below is by a quite well known political
scientist (unlike me!). The authors seem, at least to me, to have a pretty
poor understanding of (socio)linguistics. So I’m curious to hear linguists’
and sociolinguists’ assessment, to see if my critique holds.

The main problem I have with this article is that it claims that ADOL
(average distance of language), the independent variable in this study, has
a causal effect on human development outcomes (e.g., ranking on the human
development index). The use of “language distance” as an independent
variable has become quite popular recently among political scientists and
economists looking at language policy issues. The authors of the article
below draw on Greenberg’s 1956 article in *Language* as the sole linguistic
source of the notion of “language distance” (measured by authors in article
below as number of nodes on linguistic genealogy/language family trees).
Most of my focus on language policy issues has been on South Asia; in the
same exact issue of Greenberg’s article was an article by Emeneau titled
“India as a Linguistic Area,” which suggests that the linguistic
commonalities between Indo-Aryan and Dravidian languages in India through
language contact over the millennia renders “language distance” meaningless
in many ways.

So what I’d like to know is whether contemporary linguists and
sociolinguists would adhere more to Greenberg or Emeneau. I’d like to
debunk the claim of the article below that the “relationship between ADOL
and socioeconomic development is indeed causal”. I think that the way to do
this is to debunk the article’s premise that the learning costs of learning
a language that is “distant” from one’s native language are higher than
learning “a language proximate in structure”. In my understanding of
linguistics, having a genealogically distant language isn’t necessarily the
same as having a language that is not proximate in structure. Even if it
were, it would seem that there may be different learning costs according to
whether the differences in “structure” were phonological, syntactical,
morphological, and/or semantic.

Of course all of this is independent of another major sociolinguistic
misperception of (particularly American) political scientists: they tend to
assume that individuals the world over are monolingual and have a clearly
identifiable “native” language or “mother tongue”.

So if any of you could help me out, I’d appreciate it! This may indeed be
of interest to the whole list, or if you would like to reply to me directly
that would also be great.

Thanks so much!

Sam Sonntag

E-mail: Selma.Sonntag at humboldt.edu