[lg policy] Seminar by Paul Kerswill, Sheffield, Mon 22 Feb, 3-5pm: "The media engaging linguists: a two-way street?"

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Fri Feb 5 16:46:33 UTC 2016

Hello one and all,

It gives me great pleasure to welcome you to Sheffield Hallam University for the
inaugural address of the 2015-2018 Visiting Professor of the Humanities Research
Centre, Professor Paul Kerswill. His talk is entitled "The media engaging linguists:
a two-way street?". Here's the abstract:

Dealing with the media is a challenge for linguists. Linguists are called upon as
experts, yet it is the expertise of the public that seems to win out. In my
presentation, I'll deconstruct this position. I'll begin by presenting some
relatively high-profile media stories about language, ranging from The One Show, via
Newsnight, to Channel 4 News. I will continue by presenting my own research on the
representation of Multicultural London English in the print media, from its first
mention in 2006, through to its association with Jihadi John in August 2014 and his
'replacement', who broadcast threats in January this year. Motivated by this
experience, I carried out an online survey of sociolinguists who had had contacts
with the media, in which they responded to a range of questions. I was surprised by
the results, and I will suggest ways in which these should inform what we do in our
continued media contacts.

The talk is free, and depending on how generous the university is feeling, there
might just be nibbles and wine available afterwards.

It's in the Stoddart building of the City campus, which is a laughably short walk
from Sheffield central train station. Easy peasy for visiting! Here's the building on
Google street view: https://goo.gl/maps/eVa8PKkGApv. And here's a map of the
laughably short walk: https://goo.gl/maps/UCvRyiiuC442.

PLEASE REGISTER: https://kerswillhallamseminar.eventbrite.co.uk. Note: Eventbrite may
automatically pester you to print and bring your ticket but don't worry about that -
it's just to help us gauge numbers and justify a certain volume of snacks and booze :)

See you there/here!

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers