[lg policy] South Africa:

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:32:41 UTC 2016

Furious response to claim of language bans at newspaper 2016-02-05 11:54

Pietermaritzburg - A memo sent out to staff at The Witness newspaper
apparently implying that they were not allowed to speak isiZulu was wrong,
general manager Ernie Roworth has said.

This comes after a screengrab of an e-mail from a human resources officer
at the KwaZulu-Natal newspaper stated that the language policy of Media24,
The Witness’s parent company, was that “English is the preferred language
for internal communication”.

It also stated that “Media24 News is part of a bilingual business unit
where English and Afrikaans are used to communicate”.

Tweeters reacted with anger, with one person saying: “I thought apartheid
was over long ago.”

“Ashamed is what they should be all 11 official languages are enshrined in
the constitution [sic],” wrote Nosipho Khulu.

But Roworth said on Thursday that this was “simply wrong and we’re
investigating how this happened”.

“Most regrettably, it led to our staff feeling excluded and marginalised.
Subsequently we have communicated our language policy to staff and called a
team meeting... to discuss the issue and dispel any confusion and distress
that may have been caused.”

The Media24 group also responded to the claim, saying the memo was “ALL
kinds of wrong!”

“Media24 has a set of core values that informs our culture and drives our
conduct. This includes how we communicate with one another,” the company
said in a statement
<http://www.media24.com/whats-new/statement-media24s-language-policy/>
posted on its website.

“As with all our policies our language policy is aligned to our values,” it
further said.

Media24 said that due to its staff makeup, English must often be used but
meetings may be conducted in any one of South Africa’s official languages
provided everyone in the room understands the language concerned.

*- News24 is a part of the 24.com <http://24.com> group which also falls
under the Media24 family.*
*Read more on:   * *media24 <http://www.news24.com/Tags/Companies/media24>*
 |  *pietermaritzburg <http://www.news24.com/Tags/Places/pietermaritzburg>*
 |  *media <http://www.news24.com/Tags/Topics/media>*  |  *language
<http://www.news24.com/Tags/Topics/language>*
<http://www.news24.com/>
Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24
<http://uploads.news24.com/#story>. Contributions of 200 words or more will
be considered for publication.
We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy
<http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/YourStory/News24s-Comments-Policy-20101109>
for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X
<http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/finalise-case-so-i-can-enjoy-my-pension-lamoer-20160205>
Finalise
case so I can enjoy my pension - Lamoer
<http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/finalise-case-so-i-can-enjoy-my-pension-lamoer-20160205>
2016-02-05 11:45

You might also like

   - Homeowners In For Surprise (Forget Tax Refunds) Live Smarter Journal
   - Here Are the 10 Most Fuel Efficient SUVs on the Road Today Kelley Blue
   Book
   <http://www.kbb.com?psid=99988&siomid=Outbrain%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C2000011595&RCMID=2000011595>
   - You're One Step Away from Understanding Continuous Delivery Puppet Labs
   <http://info.puppetlabs.com/download-continuous-delivery-ebook-ppc-2.html?ls=advertisement&ccn=cd-2016&pub=outbrain&cid=701G0000001Z8dxIAC&utm_medium=native&utm_campaign=cd-2016&utm_source=outbrain&utm_content=continuous-delivery>
   - The Most Revealing Red Carpet Looks of All Time TVGuide.com
   <http://www.tvguide.com/galleries/revealing-red-carpet-1083645/?ftag=ACQfaf8354&vndid=5376920>

More from news24

   - Dad arrested for taking daughter’s phone away
   <http://www.news24.com/World/News/dad-arrested-for-taking-away-daughters-phone-20160201>
   - If ANC loses power, the country will burn – Mulder
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/if-anc-loses-power-the-country-will-burn-mulder-20160203>
   - Time for an education on white privilege – AwakeSA
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/time-for-an-education-on-white-privilege-awakesa-20160204>
   - WATCH: Pregnant woman beaten by husband over 'cash theft'
   <http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/watch-pregnant-woman-beaten-by-husband-over-cash-theft-20160204>
   - Dad delivers baby while stuck in gridlocked Joburg traffic
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/dad-delivers-baby-while-stuck-in-gridlocked-joburg-traffic-20160201>

Promoted Stories

   - How Older Men Tighten Their Skin The Modern Man Today
   <http://api.avidadserver.com/api/Asms/click?tid=5582ef2a1ee0530758383c1f&clid=564ee4b81ee0530c445a828d&p=1&sid1=5376920&sid2=48645521>
   - Homeowners Are In For A Big Surprise In 2016 OneSmartPenny.com
   <https://www.onesmartpenny.com/landers/pages/homeowners-are-in-for-a-big-surprise-in-2016.html?utm_source=outbrain&utm_adgroup=OSP_HARP_BigSurprise2_RON_Desktop&utm_term=tbill5.jpg_Homeowners_Are_In_For_A_Big_Surprise_In_2016_OSP_HARP_BigSurprise2_RON_Desktop&utm_content=1092d4&utm_placement=51827738&utm_medium=5376920&utm_placement=51827738>
   - Do You Have Royal Blood? Your Last Name May Tell You. Ancestry
   <http://www.ancestry.com/s64457/t32203/rd.ashx?utm_source=outbrain&utm_term=5376920>
   - Historic Photos That Were Never Publicized HistoryInOrbit.com
   <http://www.historyinorbit.com/175-fascinating-little-known-photos-of-the-past/?utm_source=outbrain&utm_content=star_yellow_arrow_4x4.jpg&utm_campaign=Historic%20Photos%20That%20Were%20Never%20Publicized%20&utm_medium=HistoryInOrbit.com-Desktop-ENG-Desk-LittlePhotos&utm_term=5376920>
   - 22 Richest Schools In America Forbes
   <http://www3.forbes.com/education/22-richest-schools-in-america/?utm_campaign=22-Richest-Schools&utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=39854956&utm_term=5376920>

Recommended by <http://www.outbrain.com/what-is/default/en>
Other Stories in South Africa...

   Another 'Blackface' case at Stellenbosch University
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/another-blackface-case-at-stellenbosch-university-20160205>

   Stellenbosch University is investigating why two white women painted
   themselves black to attend a residence party.
   Parliament ready for SONA, with trimmed budget
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/parliament-ready-for-sona-with-trimmed-budget-20160205>

   Parliament is ready to host President Jacob Zuma's State of the Nation
   address with a smaller budget of R3.5m.
   Stay away - Malema tells Guptas in letter
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/stay-away-malema-tells-guptas-in-letter-20160205>

   EFF leader Julius Malema has told the Gupta family to stay away from the
   party’s events.

Inside News24

   -
   <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Food-in-Focus/What-to-feast-on-this-weekend-20150529>
   What to feast on this weekend
   <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Food-in-Focus/What-to-feast-on-this-weekend-20150529>

   Quesadillas, kebabs and more! Weekend feasting never looked so good!
   -
   <http://www.parent24.com/Baby/Babycare/care_nutrition/why-you-should-check-your-babys-toes-20160204>
   Have you checked your baby's toes?
   <http://www.parent24.com/Baby/Babycare/care_nutrition/why-you-should-check-your-babys-toes-20160204>

   Toe tourniquets.
   -
   <http://www.channel24.co.za/Viral/space-geeks-better-get-ready-for-something-totally-out-of-this-world-20160204>
   Go to space!!
   <http://www.channel24.co.za/Viral/space-geeks-better-get-ready-for-something-totally-out-of-this-world-20160204>

   Space geeks better get ready for something totally out of this world!
   -
   <http://www.wheels24.co.za/WildOnWheels/watch-brutal-hit-and-run-caught-on-camera-20160205>
   WATCH: Brutal hit and run
   <http://www.wheels24.co.za/WildOnWheels/watch-brutal-hit-and-run-caught-on-camera-20160205>

   Footage shows a Volvo driver slamming into the rear of a cyclist.
   -
   <http://www.women24.com/CareersAndMoney/Money/9-things-you-might-be-wasting-your-money-on-20160203>
   9 money wasters
   <http://www.women24.com/CareersAndMoney/Money/9-things-you-might-be-wasting-your-money-on-20160203>

   Are you a wasteful, impulsive spender?
   -
   <http://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/Environmental-health/Environmental-disasters/radon-is-a-silent-killer-could-it-be-in-your-home-20160201>
   Killer gas in your home?
   <http://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/Environmental-health/Environmental-disasters/radon-is-a-silent-killer-could-it-be-in-your-home-20160201>

   Radon is a dangerous radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer.
   - <https://twitter.com/News24>
   Follow us on Twitter! <https://twitter.com/News24>

   Join our nearly 1.6m followers on Twitter.
   - <http://www.food24.com/Recipes-and-Menus/Low-carb-Recipes>
   Banting granola
   <http://www.food24.com/Recipes-and-Menus/Low-carb-Recipes>

   Plus more new low-carb recipes.

Welcome to News24
Get Published!
*UPLOAD*

<http://uploads.news24.com/#story>

<http://uploads.news24.com/#images>

<http://uploads.news24.com/#videos>
Most Read
News In Your Area
Facebook hits

   - Mourning widow forced to listen as gang rapes teen daughter
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/mourning-widow-forced-to-listen-as-daughter-is-gang-raped-20160204>
   - Friends of JZ Trust ready to help Zuma pay back the money on Nkandla
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/friends-of-jz-trust-ready-to-help-zuma-pay-back-the-money-on-nkandla-20160205>
   - Guptas score in new Denel deal - report
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/guptas-score-in-new-denel-deal-report-20160205>
   - If ANC loses power, the country will burn – Mulder
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/if-anc-loses-power-the-country-will-burn-mulder-20160203>
   - News about Schumi 'not good'
   <http://www.sport24.co.za/Motorsport/news-about-schumacher-not-good-20160204>

More.. <http://www.news24.com/TopStories>
<http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/furious-response-to-claim-of-language-bans-at-newspaper-20160205#>
/Fashion
WATCH: SA's hottest male models hit the runway
<http://www.news24.com/Live/Lifestyle/Fashion/watch-sas-hottest-male-models-hit-the-runway-20160205>
<http://www.news24.com/Live/Lifestyle/Fashion/watch-sas-hottest-male-models-hit-the-runway-20160205>

   - [image: WATCH: Suspect in N2 point-blank shooting in custody]
   <http://www.news24.com/Live/SouthAfrica/News/watch-suspect-in-n2-point-blank-shooting-in-custody-20160205>
   - [image: WATCH: Thieving trio steal cellphone right under staff
   member's nose]
   <http://www.news24.com/Live/SouthAfrica/News/watch-thieving-trio-steal-cellphone-right-under-staff-members-nose-20160205>
   - [image: From Khayelitsha to Vegas - how magic changed this man's life]
   <http://www.news24.com/Live/Entertainment/News/from-the-dusty-streets-of-khayelitsha-to-the-glitz-and-glamour-of-vegas-how-magic-changed-this-mans-life-20160205>
   - [image: Watch the top trending videos of the week in 1 minute]
   <http://www.news24.com/Live/SouthAfrica/News/watch-the-top-trending-videos-of-the-week-in-1-minute-20160205-2>
   - [image: Does Cassper have beef? DJ Sbu peddles MoFaya and JR is tired
   of SA music]
   <http://www.news24.com/Live/Entertainment/News/does-cassper-have-beef-dj-sbu-peddles-mofaya-and-jr-is-tired-of-sa-music-20160205>
   - [image: Trance parties in SA motion to remove 'bad element']
   <http://www.news24.com/Live/Entertainment/News/trance-parties-in-sa-motion-to-remove-bad-element-20160205>
   - [image: Young SA magician hopes to dispel cultural myths about magic]
   <http://www.news24.com/Live/Entertainment/News/young-sa-magician-hopes-to-dispel-cultural-myths-about-magic-20160205>

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly
Departure Date:
Return Date:
Travellers
Click here for multi city
<http://traveller24.news24.com/flights?search=false&show_banners=false&log=false&affId=189440&affCampaign=widget&utm_source=affiliate&iframeVersion=07&from_0=&to_0=&depart_date_0=5-2-2016&return_date_0=5-2-2016&from_1=&to_1=&depart_date_1=5-2-2016&return_date_1=5-2-2016&from_2=&to_2=&depart_date_2=5-2-2016&return_date_2=5-2-2016&adults=1&teens=0&children=0&infants=0>
<http://traveller24.news24.com/News/Flights/emirates-offers-refunds-on-flights-booked-to-zika-affected-countries-20160203>
Zika affected countries: Emirates offers refunds
The World Health Organization on Monday declared a global emergency over
the explosive spread of the mosquito-borne Zika virus.
<http://traveller24.news24.com/News/Flights/emirates-offers-refunds-on-flights-booked-to-zika-affected-countries-20160203>
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
Cape Town 17:23 PM
Road name: M3 Inbound

CRASH in the right lane before the N2 Highway - DELAYS from UCT
<http://www.news24.com/traffic/western_cape>
Cape Town 17:17 PM
Road name: N2 Nelson Mandela Bouelvard Outbound

STATIONARY TRUCK in the right lane at Hospital Bend - HEAVY DELAYS leaving
the CBD area
<http://www.news24.com/traffic/western_cape>
More traffic reports <http://www.news24.com/traffic/western_cape>
<http://www.news24.com/traffic>
Wednesday February 3 results
<http://www.news24.com/Lottery/wednesday-february-3-results-20160203>
2016-02-03
21:34 Click here for the full list of lottery results
<http://www.news24.com/Lottery>
Jobs in Cape Town <http://www.careers24.com/cape-town-jobs> [change area]
<http://www.news24.com/UserLocationModal.aspx?iframe&control=careers>
Property <http://www.property24.com> [change area]
<http://www.news24.com/UserLocationModal.aspx?iframe&control=property>
Horoscopes
[image: Aquarius]
Aquarius
<http://www.women24.com/BooksAndAstrology/Astrology/DailyHoroscope/Aquarius>

You are high spirited. You may be putting a lot of energy and hard work
into a group related project or cause. You mean business....read more
<http://www.women24.com/BooksAndAstrology/Astrology/DailyHoroscope/Aquarius>
Who’s your perfect match?
Click here to find out! <http://love2meet.news24.com/>