[lg policy] Fwd: [Linganth] Fwd: References on Language and Citizenship?

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 15:44:14 UTC 2016

Forwarded from:: Alejandro Paz <alejandro.paz at utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 2:00 PM

References on Language and Citizenship?

Hi everyone,

As promised, below are the references I gathered from the emails received
in respond to my query two weeks ago. Thanks so much to everyone who
replied!! (At risk of seeming like a self-promoter, I'm adding a piece of
mine which is forthcoming.) I hope I didn't miss anything, and apologize if
I did. Finally, if anyone wants an RIS version or other form of these
references to enter directly into bibliographic software, pls email me (or
let me know where I can post such a file for downloading).

The three major themes, partially shaped by how I worded my query: (1)
language policy and standardization, (2) language and asylum, and (3)
critiques of Habermas (especially affective dimensions) and ideas of free
speech.

The following website contains a bibliography of a large literature on
language and determinations of origins (important for asylum cases esp.):
https://www.essex.ac.uk/larg/

Asad, Talal, Wendy Brown, Saba Mahmood, and Judith P. Butler. 2013. Is
Critique Secular?: Blasphemy, Injury, and Free Speech. New York: Fordham
University Press.

Blommaert, Jan. 2009. “Language, Asylum, and the National Order.” Current
Anthropology 50(4): 415–41.

Brink-Danan, Marcy. 2010. “Names That Show Time: Turkish Jews as
‘Strangers’ and the Semiotics of Reclassification.” American Anthropologist
112(3): 384–96.

———. 2015. “Faith in Conversation: Translation, Translanguaging, and the
British God Debate: Faith in Conversation: Translation, Translanguaging,
and the British God Debate.” Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 25(2):
173–94.

Emlen, Nicholas Q. 2015. “Public Discourse and Community Formation in a
Trilingual Matsigenka-Quechua-Spanish Frontier Community of Southern Peru.”
Language in Society 44(05): 679–703.

Fish, Stanley Eugene. 1994. There’s No Such Thing as Free Speech, and It’s
a Good Thing, Too. New York: Oxford University Press.

Fraser, Nancy. 1992. “Rethinking the Public Sphere: A Contribution to the
Critique of Actually Existing Democracy.” In Habermas and the Public
Sphere, ed. Craig J Calhoun. Cambridge: MIT Press, 109–42.

Golden, Deborah. 2001. “‘Now, like Real Israelis, Let’s Stand Up and Sing’:
Teaching the National Language to Russian Newcomers in Israel.”
Anthropology & Education Quarterly 32(1): 52–79.

Gottlieb, Nanette. 2012. Language and Citizenship in Japan. New York:
Routledge.

Hirschkind, Charles. 2006. The Ethical Soundscape: Cassette Sermons and
Islamic Counterpublics. New York: Columbia University Press.

Horner, Kristine. 2015. “Language Regimes and Acts of Citizenship in
Multilingual Luxembourg.” Journal of Language and Politics 14(3): 359–81.

Jacquemet, M. 2005. “Transidiomatic Practices: Language and Power in the
Age of Globalization.” Language & Communication 25(3): 257–77.

Jacquemet, Marco. 2009. “Transcribing Refugees: The Entextualization of
Asylum Seekers’ Hearings in a Transidiomatic Environment.” Text & Talk: An
Interdisciplinary Journal of Language, Discourse & Communication Studies
29(5): 525.

Khan, Kamran, and Adrian Blackledge. 2015. “‘They Look into Our Lips’:
Negotiation of the Citizenship Ceremony as Authoritative Discourse.”
Journal of Language and Politics 14(3): 382–405.

Lo, Adrienne, and J. Kim. 2011. “Manufacturing Citizenship: Metapragmatic
Framings of Language Competencies in Media Images of Mixed Race Men in
South Korea.” Discourse & Society 22(4): 440–57.

Mangual Figueroa, Ariana. 2011. “Citizenship and Education in the Homework
Completion Routine.” Anthropology & Education 42(3): 263.

———. 2012. “‘I Have Papers So I Can Go Anywhere!’: Everyday Talk About
Citizenship in a Mixed-Status Mexican Family.” Journal of Language,
Identity & Education 11(5): 291.

———. 2013a. “Citizenship Status and Language Education Policy in an
Emerging Latino Community in the United States.” Language Policy 12(4): 333.

———. 2013b. “¡Hay Que Hablar!: Testimonio in the Everyday Lives of Migrant
Mothers.” Language & Communication 33(4): 559.

———. 2014. “Citizenship, Beneficence, and Informed Consent: The Ethics of
Working in Mixed-Status Families.” International Journal of Qualitative
Studies in Education: 1–20.

———. 2015. “Out of the Shadows: Testimonio as Civic Participation.” Journal
of Latinos and Education 14(4): 244.

Milani, Tommaso M. 2015a. “Language and Citizenship: Broadening the
Agenda.” Journal of Language and Politics 14(3): 319–34.

———. 2015b. “Sexual Cityzenship: Discourses, Spaces and Bodies at Joburg
Pride 2012.” Journal of Language and Politics 14(3): 431–54.

Moore, Robert E. 2011. Standardisation, Diversity and Enlightenment in the
Contemporary Crisis of EU Language Policy.

Paz, Alejandro I. Forthcoming. “Speaking like a Citizen: Biopolitics and
Public Opinion in Recognizing Noncitizen Children in Israel.” Language and
Communication.

Pulinx, Reinhilde, and Piet Van Avermaet. 2015. “Integration in Flanders
(Belgium) – Citizenship as Achievement: How Intertwined Are ‘citizenship’
and ‘integration’ in Flemish Language Policies?” Journal of Language and
Politics 14(3): 335–58.

Schiffman, Harold F. 2009. “Language, Language Policy, and Citizenship.” In
The Future of Citizenship, ed. Jose V. Ciprut. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press,
75–96.

Schildkraut, Deborah Jill. 2005. Press One for English: Language Policy,
Public Opinion, and American Identity.

Tambar, Kabir. 2012. “Islamic Reflexivity and the Uncritical Subject.”
Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 18(3): 652–72.

Wee, Lionel. 2015. “The Party’s over?: Singapore Politics and the ‘new
Normal.’” Journal of Language and Politics 14(3): 455–78.

Williams, Quentin E., and Christopher Stroud. 2015. “Linguistic
Citizenship: Language and Politics in Postnational Modernities.” Journal of
Language and Politics 14(3): 406–30.

Once again, thanks!

Alejandro

Alejandro I. Paz
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
University of Toronto Scarborough
Graduate Depts of Anthropology and Linguistics
University of Toronto
http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/people/aipaz/