[lg policy] South Africa: Tuks campuses closed until further notice

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 22:16:16 UTC 2016

Tuks campuses closed until further notice

By Mpho Raborife | Feb 20, 2016 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]
<http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2016/02/20/tuks-campuses-closed-until-further-notice?mode=true>
Back to Home <http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/>
The University of Pretoria's Hatfield and Groenkloof campuses will remain
closed until the institution can ensure the safety of its students and
staff, it said on Friday.
[image: protest picture credit:think stock]
CAPTION: protest picture credit:think stock
RELATED ARTICLES

   - 14 arrested for violating Wits interdict
   <http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2016/02/19/14-arrested-for-violating-wits-interdict>
   - Wits SRC to raise R10 million by end of February
   <http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2016/02/17/wits-src-to-raise-r10-million-by-end-of-february>
   - Bus set alight at Wits University residence
   <http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2016/02/18/bus-set-alight-at-wits-university-residence.>
   - Wits' teen will be old enough for PSL
   <http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/sport/2016/02/18/wits-teen-will-be-old-enough-for-psl>
   - Wits more vexed about travel than Islanders
   <http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/sport/2016/02/12/wits-more-vexed-about-travel-than-islanders>
   - Witness describes 'horrific' Rapulana Seiphemo accident scene
   <http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2016/02/16/witness-describes-horrific-rapulana-seiphemo-accident-scene>

Vice Chancellor Cheryl de la Rey said she had decided to shut down
activities at both campuses following protests on Thursday over the
university's language policy.

"The decision to close the campuses was taken because of threats of
disruption of lectures and threats of violent action in the course of
yesterday [Thursday] evening.

"While we understand your concern over the closure, the safety of our
students and staff remains paramount.

She said there had been incidents of violence at universities across the
country and wanted to avoid exposing students to "such high levels of risk".

Media reports said 14 students were arrested and held at the Brooklyn
police station following a continuation of protests against the
university's language policy.

However, university spokesperson Anna-Retha Bouwer said she could not
confirm or deny the reports as they had not taken place on the university's
premises.

"We are aware of the arrests that were made, but I cannot confirm that they
were our students. They happened off campus," she said.

Scuffles broke out between students on Thursday during a meeting attended
by the AfriForum Youth, the Progressive Youth Alliance and the EFF Student
Command on the language policy.

Security guards and police tried to separate the groups.

Bouwer at the time confirmed there had been a stand-off between members of
the AfriForum Youth and the EFF Student Command.

No damage to property was reported.

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2016/02/20/tuks-campuses-closed-until-further-notice