[lg policy] South Africa: AfriForum Youth threatens legal action on language policy at Tuks

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 16:26:19 UTC 2016

 AfriForum Youth threatens legal action on language policy at Tuks

AfriForum Youth has threatened to take legal action against the University
of Pretoria (UP), if it officially abolishes Afrikaans as the second medium
of instruction at the institution.

The Afrikaans youth group has also criticized the University for failing to
prevent racially charged student clashes on campus.

This as Tuks' contentious language policy is far from being resolved.

AfriForum is still rejecting the proposal to use English as the only medium
of instruction. It's prepared to take legal action should Afrikaans fall.

AfriForum Youth national project co-ordinator Morne Mostert says, “We will
do our best to run projects and get legal action against the university to
ensure that the right processes are followed, and to ensure the rights are
protected. We have a constitutional right to our mother tongue education on
campus.”

The university has not made a final decision yet on the matter and that
frustrates the students.

They have now resorted to daily prayer sessions to calm tensions.

“Students are tired of an absence of solutions, the main thing about the
prayer is that there shouldn't be violence but we [are] not necessarily
saying issues should not be fixed or confronted,” says one of the students.

“Once you go on campus now … there is no more unity. You feel like it’s
broken, this is going to help make us one university. What is happening on
campus is a division, you don't see any races coming together, here this is
the total opposite people are coming together,” add some of the students.

The university remains closed.

http://www.sabc.co.za/news/a/00630a804bcd4610aa1dae96fb2bb898/AfriForum-Youth-threatens-legal-action-on-language-policy-at-Tuks-20160224