[lg policy] Free seminar & wine reception to launch 'Sociolinguistic Research: Application and Impact', Mon 13 June, Birmingham (UK)

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Tue Jan 26 13:56:58 UTC 2016

Four years ago, my esteemed colleague Rob Lawson and I set out our stall to put
together an edited volume about sociolinguistic research that has been 'applied' in
different ways: https://linguistlist.org/issues/23/23-1680.html.

Little did we know quite what a cord we'd struck, and how stunning the response would
be! We had stacks of excellent submissions, which left us in the luxurious position
of selecting only the very best ones. 'All killer no filler', as Sum 41 put it
(anybody?). We even managed to convince the one and only John Rickford to write us a
foreword!

Now, at long long last, with unending thanks to our patient and punctual
contributors, we're finished on schedule! Yes that really is how long it takes to
complete an edited volume if you meet all your deadlines!

Here's the book page in all its sparkly delight:
https://www.routledge.com/products/9780415748520.

And now, in the finest academic tradition, it falls to me and Rob to put together a
schmooze & booze celebration event, thinly disguised as a panel discussion - or maybe
vice versa.

Three of our distinguished contributors - Peter Patrick, Nicci MacLeod, and Hywel
Coleman - will be there to reflect on their chapters and discuss the meaning of
'impact' in contemporary academia. My co-editor and I will also give a talk about the
historical rise of 'impact' in academia. I'm sure there will also be lots of exciting
attendees with whom to rub shoulders. And as if all that wasn't tempting enough,
there will be wine and snacks! All for free!

It's Monday 13 June, in Birmingham (UK), two days before the Sociolinguistic
Symposium in Spain - so if you're heading to the Symposium from abroad, how about
coming to our event en route?

The address is:
Room C087, Curzon Building
Birmingham City University
Cardigan Street
Birmingham, B4 7BD

We even made a fancy flyer for the event which you can print out and stick to your
office door, circulate among colleagues, pass round the family dinner table, and
staple to your clothes: https://goo.gl/LQ9pid.

PLEASE REGISTER (for free) here: https://slximpactlaunch.eventbrite.co.uk/. Note: it
will tell you to print and bring your ticket but don't worry about that - this is
only to help us keep track of numbers.

And of course, please feel free to circulate this email to anyone who might be
interested - and to send the Eventbrite link out through more attention-intolerant media.

See you there!

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers