[lg policy] South Africa: Ruling on UFS’s language policy should be challenged

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 14:36:04 UTC 2016

Ruling on UFS’s language policy should be challenged

REFILWE GAESWE
06:10 (GMT+2) Tue, 26 Jul 2016
[image: Ruling on UFS’s language policy should be challenged | News Article]
*Bloemfontein - The ruling by the Bloemfontein High Court, which set aside
a decision by the University of the Free State (UFS) not to have Afrikaans
as the medium of instruction, should be challenged. *

This is according to the national spokesperson of the Higher Education
Transformation Network (HETN), Hendrick Makaneta.

Afriforum took UFS to the Bloemfontein High Court‚ arguing that its new
language policy was unconstitutional.

Makaneta says they are firmly behind the appeal made by UFS against last
week’s court judgment and hope to have a different ruling.

“Our fear as network is that, if we don’t challenge this ruling, it will
obviously set a precedent. We have already seen the University of Pretoria,
as well as Stellenbosch University moving towards using English as the sole
medium of instruction from next year (2017). So, if this ruling deriving
from the Free State Province is not challenged, it will have a bearing on
all higher learning institutions across the country,” Makaneta said.
- See more at:
http://www.ofm.co.za/article/local-news/189003/ruling-on-ufs-s-language-policy-should-be-challenged#sthash.fPH18rtT.dpuf