[lg policy] Your views please, esteemed peers, on a proposed new journal 'Applied Sociolinguistics'

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Thu Mar 31 12:36:46 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings, one and all.

I've been thinking for some time now that academia doesn't have enough journals. And
I don't have enough to do in life. So to address both of these problems, I've teamed
up with some like-minded colleagues to develop a scintillating new journal.

Instead of trying to carve out a deliciously esoteric sub-disciplinary niche (Journal
of Periphrastic Semicolons, anyone?) we decided to go in the opposite direction and
address a nice broad disciplinary audience. In particular, my prospective co-editors
and I have all dedicated a lot of time to discussions of 'impact', 'outreach',
'application' and related buzzwords across different areas of sociolinguistic
research. Now we're joining forces to try and continue that discussion in journal form.

The journal is provisionally titled 'Applied Sociolinguistics'. Routledge have agreed
in principle to be our host. It will be open access, free to both readers and
contributors, and funded by institutional sponsorship. BUT... to secure that
sponsorship we first need to make our case. And what better way to do that than with
a survey of our peers! So without further ado, please head along and click the
appropriate buttons with all the enthusiasm you feel we deserve:

http://goo.gl/forms/C9ek6FwhaQ

If you were to ask me, I could say we deserve boundless enthusiasm, but if I said
that I might dilute the impartiality of the survey, so I won't.

Happy clicking!

Co-editorially yours (hopefully),
Dave

--