[lg policy] South Africa: EFFSC to decide on protest action over UP language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu May 26 14:59:09 UTC 2016

 EFFSC to decide on protest action over UP language policy
Steven Tau
[image: Members of the EFF Students Command at the University of Pretoria.
Picture: EFFSC Facebook]

Members of the EFF Students Command at the University of Pretoria. Picture:
EFFSC Facebook
Morolane said a decision would be taken immediately after the exams.

Talks around the language policy at the University of Pretoria (UP) must be
concluded by Friday, the EFF Students Command (EFFSC) said on Thursday.

Speaking to *The Citizen*, EFFSC president Mpho Morolane said they were
unhappy about how the talks had been conducted.

“However, we are saying that deliberations over language policy must
continue, but we are giving them until Friday.

“We will allow students to continue with their exams, which we expect to be
concluded two weeks from now,” Morolane said.

He said a decision on whether there should be a protest or other
action would be taken immediately after the exams.

Early this year, lectures at the institution had to be suspended amid a
protest by students who were calling for the use of Afrikaans in lectures
to be completely scrapped.

The university’s response at the time was that English would be used as the
primary language.

“We have also proposed that Afrikaans not be totally scrapped, and rather
that it, together with Sepedi, be used as additional support language in
the event that a student does not fully understand the English lecture,”
university spokesperson Anna-Retha Bouwer told *The Citizen* at the time.

The university was not immediately available for comment on Thursday
morning. – *stevent at citizen.co.za <stevent at citizen.co.za>*
http://citizen.co.za/1132993/effsc-to-decide-on-protest-action-over-up-language-policy