[lg policy] Howard Giles talk: Bristol, 18th October

James Hawkey james.hawkey at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Oct 3 10:24:30 UTC 2016

Dear all,

A man who needs no introduction, Professor Howard Giles (UC Santa Barbara)
will be giving the following talk as part of a series at the University of
Bristol. All are welcome to attend. Any queries, contact
james.hawkey at bristol.ac.uk.

Best wishes,
James

*Professor Howard Giles (UC Santa Barbara)*
*"Don't talk yourself into an early grave": Intergroup and personal
challenges of aging successfully.*
*Tuesday 18th October, 6pm. Old Council Chamber, Wills Memorial Building.*

A European philosopher, Henri Amiel, once wrote: “To know how to grow old
is the master-work of wisdom, and one of the most difficult chapters in the
great art of living”.  After an overview of international research on
intergenerational communication and aging, we look into such a chapter by
considering the process of successful aging.  Therein, we discuss the
hitherto under-appreciated role of communication processes, introduce a
theoretical model of this that has pragmatic implications, and provide
empirical data to investigate it.

--
Dr James Hawkey
Lecturer in Spanish Linguistics