[lg policy] Texas: COEHD names new associate dean for Graduate Studies

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:11:30 UTC 2016

COEHD names new associate dean for Graduate Studies

by *Jo Ann Jones, COEHD*    |    October 17, 2016
[image: Bookmark and Share]
<http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&pub=cdavisutsa>

The UTSA College of Education and Human Development (COEHD) recently named
Dr. Juliet Langman, professor in the Department of Bicultural-Bilingual
Studies, as the new associate dean for Graduate Studies. Langman began her
role in COEHD’s senior leadership on Sept. 10.

As associate dean, Langman is responsible for overseeing the college’s
graduate programs. Currently, the college has the largest enrollment of
graduate students in the university, and offers four doctoral programs and
eight master’s programs in addition to several professional certifications
and graduate certificates.

“I am both excited and honored to have been selected as the new associate
dean for Graduate Studies,” said Langman. “Having the opportunity to work
with a larger number of programs, and to support graduate student growth
has been one of my strong interests throughout my academic career.”

In her new role, Langman plans to support departmental faculty in improving
existing programs and working towards developing new graduate programs.

“I also hope to find creative ways to increase graduate student funding,
linking such support with additional research and practical experience
support that will help to make our graduates even more prepared for
achieving their career goals,” Langman said. “I would like to see the COEHD
Graduate Studies Program continue to be responsive to local needs in the
community, be consistently moving towards enhancing program quality,
balanced with increasing graduate enrollment in sustainable ways.”

Prior to being named associate dean, Langman served as the Graduate Advisor
of Record for the Culture, Language, and Literacy doctoral program.

“I see my leadership as involving strong advocacy for departmental goals as
well as strong two-way communication to examine systems in place at the
college, university, and system levels that may support or hinder those
goals,” said Langman.

Langman joined the COEHD faculty in 1998. She received her Ph.D. in
Language, Literacy, and Culture from Stanford University. Her research
areas include youth populations in multilingual settings, additional
language learning, language policy and planning, and language identity and
ideology.

http://education.utsa.edu/news/article/coehd_names_new_associate_dean_for_graduate_studies/