[lg policy] Pakistan: Policy Dialogue on Language ends

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 20:50:59 UTC 2016

Hot Topics

   - Panama Leaks <https://www.thenews.com.pk/trending/panama-leaks>
   - Pak-India Ties <https://www.thenews.com.pk/trending/pak-india-ties->
   - Quetta Attack <https://www.thenews.com.pk/trending/quetta-attack>

<http://result.geo.tv/>
Policy Dialogue on Language ends
<https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/160436-Policy-Dialogue-on-Language-ends#>
Home <https://www.thenews.com.pk/> / Today's Paper
<https://www.thenews.com.pk/today> / Islamabad
<https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/category/islamabad> / Policy Dialogue on
Language ends
<https://www.thenews.com.pk//print/160436-Policy-Dialogue-on-Language-ends>
October 28, 2016
Print : Islamabad <https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/category/islamabad>

Islamabad

The three-day Policy Dialogue on Language, hosted by Air University in
collaboration with Higher Education Commission (HEC), concluded at HEC
Secretariat on Thursday.

The activity featured focus group discussions on different topics involving
national and international scholars from academia, media, law, banking,
aviation, governmental organisations and other institutions to provide
concrete steps in formulating recommendations for a national policy on
status of English, Urdu and regional languages in Pakistan.

Speaking at the occasion, the HEC chairman appreciated the Air University,
particularly Dr. Wasima Shahzad, for organising this dialogue at a right
time when the government is gradually shifting to use of Urdu as official
language.

“We should make concerted efforts for promotion of Urdu and regional
languages. The conversion to Urdu as official language should be made
step-by-step and for that this type of academic discourse is very
significant,” said Dr. Mukhtar Ahmed, adding HEC is ready to further fund
research in language, provided there are concrete proposals.

The chairman said that different organisations that are already in place
for development of languages should come together for preservation of
regional languages and development of a comprehensive national language
policy.  Dr. Wasima Shahzad said that language is our identity and we need
to take pride in our language. Appreciating experts for their active
participation in various sessions, she said that there was a message of
unity in diversity through these discussions, and very valuable inputs were
given by all our national and international experts.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/160436-Policy-Dialogue-on-Language-ends