[lg policy] Malta: Question time: The way we speak Are we killing the Maltese language?

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 14:56:48 UTC 2016

Question time: The way we speak Are we killing the Maltese language?

*Sandro Mangion*

In a rapidly changing, globalised world, the hegemony of the global lingua
franca has led languages to open their doors to loan words from English as
a means of enriching themselves and, ultimately, of survival.

This is no modern phenomenon. No language would have managed to weather the
centuries had it resisted foreign influence. Maltese is no exception, as
testified by the interesting blend of vocabulary it has amassed through its
exposure to different cultures.

Our media are peppered with strong opinions on the integration into the
Maltese orthographic system of the many English loanwords in frequent use.
This keen interest goes to show how much Maltese is alive and relevant in
our lives. The question is: should we be resorting to English even when
perfectly understandable words that have been part of our language for
quite some time are available to us? And why does this happen

It is a fact that unless we actively make an effort to read in our mother
tongue, we seldom see Maltese written around us in everyday life – just
have a look at the products you buy and the signs in public spaces. The sea
of written English words we are immersed in means those words are cut and
pasted in our memories and, consequently, are the first to come to mind
when we need them. Some efforts have already been made to address this
situation.
Our bilingual reality is a main element of what makes us who we are

On the initiative of the national council of the Maltese language, for
instance, the new Oncology Centre has bilingual signs and directions. The
same is the case with the destination signs and ‘next stop’ displays on
buses as well as in certain road direction signs.

The Maltese language council has already done a lot to ensure that Maltese
remains a convenient communication vehicle for its users. It has carried
out wide public consultations and taken important decisions, with others in
the pipeline. It offers several courses in Maltese to government personnel
and to the public. This sterling work has the government’s support.

A wide public consultation on reforming the Maltese Language Act was held
recently, following which a consultative committee was set up to draw up
changes aimed at strengthening the council’s authority and effectiveness,
for instance, by making its board more widely representative of all
stakeholders. Funds for the council have been doubled and, in addition, it
has been assigned a second staff member.

In the meantime, the government is investing substantially while supporting
initiatives aimed at further strengthening Maltese. For example, by the end
of 2016, every class in State-run primary school years 1, 2 and 3 will have
received 50 reading books in Maltese and 50 in English. Nine new big books
in Maltese have been published as a result of teachers’ hard work, while
eight apps/digital books for children are available online free of charge.
A website for teachers, malti.skola.edu.mt, offers teaching and learning
resources produced by teachers themselves; the Department for Curriculum
Management and Mcast have teamed up to produce clips of poems and short
stories aimed at secondary school students and the ministry has financed
the production of three CDs of Maltese nursery rhymes for schoolchildren.

Such initiatives are coupled with a drive meant to instill the love for
reading among our younger generation through programmes such as Aqra
Miegħi/Read With Me and the appointment of personalities that children can
relate to as Reading Ambassadors.

The Malta Communications Authority, on its part, has helped in the setting
up of a Maltese online dictionary.

Being able to communicate and work well in English gives us tremendous
political, cultural and economic advantages while Maltese is a crucial part
of our national identity and a major way how we express it. Let us keep
striving for excellence in both languages. They are both, after all,
serving complimentary functions in making our lives better. More than that,
our bilingual reality is a main element of what makes us who we are.

*Sandro Mangion is a blogger.*

*Manwel Mifsud*

Are we killing the Maltese language? This is perhaps one of the questions
that appear most frequently in public debate, often loaded with a
reasonable dose of concern and helplessness.

But how real is this danger?

And, if it is, are we doing enough avert it?

People often wonder positively how a tiny vernacular of Arabic managed to
survive through the centuries and flourish as an independent national
language in the face of the several foreign rulers’ languages.

However, as long as Maltese remained the only means of communication of the
monolingual majority of the islanders, the survival of the language was
practically guaranteed.

It is only in the last decades, when most of the population has become
bilingual to some extent, that the option between using the Maltese and the
English language has gradually taken shape and that people are weighing
both in terms of their ‘utility’.

While some people readily disqualify Maltese as ‘a language that will not
get you farther than the breakwater’, others – perhaps with a keener
insight – point to other qualities of Maltese which are less evident but
equally real, such as identity and a sense of belonging.
A nation that respects itself respects its language

Language is important for communication and for the national ethos; a
modern State, therefore, needs to have a clear plan for language use in the
public sphere. This is even more important in a country with two official
languages.

Language policy normally embraces two dimensions: the status (the extent of
the presence of a language in the social and political environment) and the
corpus (the level of academic discipline to which it has been subjected to
become an effective social communication tool).

I’m afraid that, unfortunately, we still lag behind other European
languages on both fronts.

One important development that occurred in status planning was the
institution of the Kunsill Nazzjonali tal-Ilsien Malti.

For the last 11 years, this council has worked hard to normalise the
language and its efforts have been beneficial in the promotion of Maltese
in those national fora where it was generally disregarded.

However, the major task of working out a language policy for Malta still
looms on its horizon. It is with satisfaction noting that, since a few
years, the Ministry of Education has been lending a helping hand by setting
up a board for Language Policy in Education.

As for the corpus, while the Department of Maltese and the Institute of
Linguistics at our University as well as the Akkademja tal-Malti and other
organisations have kept up their steady work, not enough has been achieved
in the sense of reaching out to the public and its linguistic needs.

The Maltese languiage still lacks basic aids such as a good updated
grammar, a fully-fledged online dictionary, a spellchecker and courses in
public speaking and journalistic Maltese.

The success of some efforts at the more popular level, such as Trevor
Zahra’s charming books, the University’s proofreaders course and the
evenings of Maltese entertainment Kelma kelma, Nota nota confirm that the
Maltese are fond of their language and will respond readily to its charisma.

However, a major handicap in the way of the national language is having a
very harmful effect on its development.

Many families are chosing to talk to their younger children only in (some
sort of) English, the reasons usually being a mistaken idea of the child’s
mental capacity and a deep-seated feeling of inferiority in face of all
things foreign, a sentiment that is grossly out of tune with the aims and
aspirations of modern European thinking.

This lack of self-esteem is our biggest challenge because its roots are
firmly established in our own history.

A nation that respects itself respects its language.

*Manwel Mifsud is professor of Maltese at the University of Malta.*

*If you would like to put any questions to the two parties in Parliament
send an e-mail marked clearly Question Time to editor at timesofmalta.com
<editor at timesofmalta.com>.*
<http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160910/opinion/Question-time-The-way-we-speak.624535#>
<http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160910/opinion/Question-time-The-way-we-speak.624535#>
<http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160910/opinion/Question-time-The-way-we-speak.624535#>
<http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160910/opinion/Question-time-The-way-we-speak.624535#>
<http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160910/opinion/Question-time-The-way-we-speak.624535#>
<http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160910/opinion/Question-time-The-way-we-speak.624535#>
2
<http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160910/opinion/Question-time-The-way-we-speak.624535#>
« Moral policing of women
<http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160910/opinion/Moral-policing-of-women.624536>
Light
at the end of the tunnel »
<http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160910/opinion/light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel.624534>
Sponsored by Revcontent
Trending Articles
35 Gorgeous Stars Who Became Monsters
<http://trends.revcontent.com/click.php?d=eJwVlIENwzAIBFcCDAbGsQ3sP0I%2BlapWSozh%2F3g6YfOeJMU2t3vZzqplqXzrWN4O5wmenVvj2uaneqKG7MkLkaXx1uMSPzPLd%2BzxslDO4zLlYeutfY73zFzZz7k9%2FhOpueOcJx7DukjEn9szPLi5H6vKjTUsr01ueW46y0q11jksqvaut82OIk7bV9dW9Cu6wlcvOj3t9HJ46MbMC7TfltuEms3aT9x7a0eg4aG6a0i3oHgsd7qlvJfZc4JExRtV4qxFA4mcce3UqHUSVfDVoKvGrzLWpe3OZVXQVlkq9st8KHrqKdfpd%2BfhuuJ43e%2FZIuIgt1F9oa1KwnyP7hJUiC1F72b0MBmlsOx6Xq%2B617VHkRF7iZbCxKf0Omptf5jHYJyHa%2BLlKNNqZz19fCfXjcY9kBhiO%2BOfn8V5Sc4%2BSRgFl7JiyiUcd7GrLFSpnHePp%2Bwzcoo2mhcIqwDjrHeX9EKpJ9IQ7rBnSDHj8Ouz0nRjyJK7klhktLPi3BsAMcCDNC1Y1IZZpDQ5G1jOGGAqshlwuY%2BUoVu7fPfGmcneo2wJX0YKT6kmTM%2FkY5r1i%2FYuXleMOSKyIZM6BFc51Cv3Pdmagkun4LXS3FxhRlJzNoQu6YO3npH7toS9tGA%2FRsV0IyZHh1fTrxqkPZcfeF9QJXuW5sEjaP63yeCcT1qkQuYF7AHtaXhTsXSwlkrh5lhL8us%2FhKD%2BUNBxvNtNvfezHYyOUWfBwe55YImxCxvqgce6j%2FgBAICwfh%2FaWIwG%2Fd8D7skaPACinZ15ILTO0FiCudkXAhDUBEPwsWUIyFECpc7JdXmF7jw3YcAQLyz%2FW0rspxAeTq5QCPRwJ5CseBsi9zlzdSJrFfLAsTZnr2pRWOxvTO3imBs%2BKIIevIEj4zHgsxe4qVya92kBV7bXgKQ9F2ZfQAypr%2BZQRBuW8d8NZFY9Ib3cD8R2dym4pMBBIODojhAj%2BxBjDAQc4CNZB6prkVPD6r02dnVC363CYorUu4TYPAhQiyPGsRb%2FLaKv8YN0QEzkr08jYS4TXEfZYZfnOL430sKxfwbr0d5fZtwIDeXGtchZEmQPRpJ%2Ft%2B1iB14pqupygW6nkFSQcQXyB3NTx%2F0h8zQEkOEnVDcCc41g%2Fx3Ug9BQ08wtKyPZupGBA%2BoKocxNhBQEogbzDhjRWQ8p9UOjHkhEB8uRyOq6KcTXHIwncvYhv%2BRgAvINkZnxPQpMPBqxEGeDxdV7YVUfNgT3n%2FcBs2TDUw%3D%3D>
26 Amish Facts You Need To Know
<http://trends.revcontent.com/click.php?d=eJwdld0BAyEIg1cC%2BZNxUGT%2FEZrrW6%2F1BD6SdGW6h7Z0Xk6h1zct2%2Fi0vtvifuRcCz8705iLvM%2F0WLW67XuXlL97d7TR2NY1ZKv3mXObza8W5WbK7lFPXplXoth3zVDyUd13swvV5RgJSW4bF7NzRl7dnlPH1Ofemsve7izisuiU0dO3rMmZuSWfW72n7Asz1Yp3X95%2BzkYqMns%2Flzq80J5s1dGv9D5Lq0lmhOkVP6I4VPv0Gh7HEWZdwVvfu44GwvS65HjGLQrObc%2BE5aRKDN9X660BqWf5zoQ15t7X%2FZq151oivL3fWAYmmw22iuJKodlXF0ZjawbfnQ8FVz1rYFvr3HkcqidLlr91ChzTOh74t49HTG0OoAFnlqXX9KzBpcWZ8Q7r5XtWn3UWd0oPv0jMgDWnnZcVQlm5FbRzxRGMcMPf2Y%2BO9tldqY57jt6wxVSJJ3SGzb7MnqdYlp04OxyHym6vEx%2BNDYhyDurhrok9gd0pVu51iozCsQ7tvTcBYUAEi2pC8SJUt7kjRdBi%2BDIQqK3RTlseMefd7dAbMDe2BHXiS8JPFxPtdX2Bfh3MsTAASb%2FaFwU2l%2Bgy3tPQMZD6UM%2FokbJj%2BNBecngT2%2BjbLc8HgBttYDlQGO77BGgX6kpzLah7mHGunrqgfdhh4IvtazlZ6Al7d%2BUEAZrOm2flplFyPZoMKtyzLrgDeEwTZMbLzzwn6kZRR%2B8fyZO%2BoQEo2XXP9UvxsGlI86CVAYpgWCZFh6JbwK83urkQKsdFaxzc4OSYjJzKD7Ul19KAyt8TItqQeWw8jkbavejb1pOFiaM2JMc3WacgFVmdSitNgmhhCgrIQGDXvg0lloEcDLrg%2FHWe%2BUvy%2BEzvCUU%2BUkjPDQYC4%2FtgjcRbfzUDj4IU4GMNyAZFXd7rW7DKKWSCI3rgv%2Fy3q8MOGFG1fOX1Muz3%2BAzUo%2B7SEGTtRoMJ8XumrCgEnCFCkA7gsprPW3crVdh9uHH3Qtww3IKq5zotMPGCkpVECPF2V%2BFdbKCItBdBeHUBS20hGqcRtmj1iUDrgHIElFuOfAzb7AlcLGlBG7uYROQMks9uBpJE4LwgOBf7ubj%2FjIESIUpw6PUmaIkOIYwIpjI6u65CdO%2FrOo7DGfHlOtEQCb7erowTiM2uuiXIGWrShBpxAv8BgKby9heL1IhntM%2FzGmlOG2W%2B9TCiAToKd335tgdsDcXByMhDqOkHVga5IA%3D%3D>
The Most Extreme Celeb Weight Loss And Gains
<http://trends.revcontent.com/click.php?d=eJwdldEBAyEIQ1dCEIFxBGT%2FEZpr%2F9rrCYSXGJeO%2B21ZsS%2FfDOtZuZZbjj6uZS95TeCxntdPeG312PhDr%2FadfZ7EnOFeF486yso6i2kkj22Ntrx6%2BNY%2B59V%2BOdFvq1qQ3WSxdvIj%2BD8VTZBuJbOHBkQP3Y3%2B6HDwMz%2FrcD5fRy6hwF7v8dzdsl126CndHaJbRuIe9TkZ25Ubg9HYfpXhbCd7WdbZb5KUMduuQ2KlD%2B1tOiXZT0MzxNh0Cd%2Bb6aLvXV9xhsJ1Dzkn3cB0IYusWjzlLoxR80hrpE6vGarWOMqHhciNdkINqNN8T433S3W%2BNpmQfjhUVl%2Fj%2B8yU9u26l09Q37KF6bMezp2ip13mNMRTnCit1W8pXXH3bXhFh5UT%2BlWobSNdPlDghaSQPe8eQu1zjkL%2F5evlSZ9m9lWn8tyChMKoq3hd1mzMZbwpoY9DMzmEUiYLAMwdSJV7s%2BsZmfesyme%2F%2FVHF4OntVUkVafWEXhIUsOSQXoSGFFP70FqTS%2B4bnLzqk0AZ%2B4u6ry53d3Dl3ViM73cvpWKB%2BOx47gnW9vPXsfIsWuhilT2M%2BMhGF15YwLXAmksogAR%2BoDgm5A24ikQrtdbSUeUy2QK9DBgeEa%2FgvDyomXIMu%2FEW1bEpLB5UnxYWhTuwV6yA4vI%2B3UwJlzwS6TQDad4rd%2BQLowMfgdLEkRDKBMdQafD193QI1iqSs7rewnHvMmMaoOsqZZdsie8aaJ5xDpMwbXS%2Fk4JWwEdWsE3RdZ6J9O0eN1eTYXsDpzFApBivdWcPFDfBMFB2l4ecXSKg1ARgVZ9UrbXnAIRm3eS5UOeTckOZhEI334G5T0F%2BnGd10GgMUTQI83i1ejf8%2BWA9CHLYr4R9aGLsYmhQ38PbS0E%2FviNWwETkBYdvYEyw0Rs6XQcLck6sXqG%2BGUkC2wM8bK03i9%2BzBsXhw3ctYeVDxk1c0Cw%2BU0Ch7YeyRUwVpgzezWhnEr1%2FcOold0HgiIQ4LXL0MoqNLMTTpEHqwqi5Kvp%2B64RvEwfAdYGXciAPvR0bqXYuxoFnsEe6R5Ckh1H65v5SRfKjUrMWRLJoxnxYvT0VLYmzYhp%2BfGmxeSPpEvop%2FI0ojB2t94MG0VYMuQpCIjy88duGixWxtxCjKIRowKa%2BnHGlxoFtSIJ6%2F1MhL76D%2BEakgUEIcG%2FrQtiDi9lo4VLJ0Q1qNi%2B1gu3l8CgiwFwWjHwPa%2FaXivzgP1woWAWQsRtACGvFPTDT8NiJzuO4a%2BbAXK76GqEASd8%2BmUiMwZUwGNhuvcR9ggRv83wIwx9YpdNp>
No Pill Can Stop Tinnitus But This (1) Weird Trick Can
<http://trends.revcontent.com/click.php?d=eJwdVNkVAjEIbIlwJFAOIdB%2FCc76oU9dSYa5XnX2Pu%2F2VlM%2Bc2m32%2FS95yxmk2XaeziChPPQ4MNdtT3c1dY1JrFjZVUjj9v7roUxe8uprS3VN%2FFcOW5%2B7uJRMhMWPWMe%2B66zu5YcU6oTXbksdseNs%2B59fnyY9Hu%2Fu3O4fNTFpI11azmtLTEvbcqGp%2Bbein5OzvWSNt3XrXtq2W4rzaCkjEvjy5692hoE4HR0PKiirrttap%2B248Wn5jG3WuMuv3dcxNLce%2BRIUvCcnBKgOr32ukJYbMXytFUiecJHSp9RgtR3%2Bo5YKJarWpHg2hjs%2Bk7ddpY1rQOcfgYoAhClRT%2F8KYzDKy7zM9B8SRYRbbbZqraP54tlFkfWbH%2FZtjao5W1cV4bi2ChPs7NAkyOQFE9eBjScHA17h8UaOuALdpjuyPVGKHkorZfIelDXZKeUY%2Fa6zns3iUYF4tI9C%2BTtvWRdBmsOFG7QYYoxbYeKzg0TXxIATnJer0cf4gVSnxQc09uuwjIrCXZcU%2BfitfcDtVB%2FYiZv8ko4bj%2B%2B%2FnyW4RcgvmAavrA8Qo7Z4deaCVyh%2BRT2Cxy6XZtN7Q3Y7ZaaWDXURAVtB89BdYp5ed6GuNoqu09mzi66XTvflgrtB2OLXce%2F%2BBwtXTu3XukE0fExepUGXoAD4M4sg4KC6ICLG%2BRZAUZgpjrqcBMVE5DA5rcX1Rc0iniIyhV4Id8bB7e6WHWDojCNlBcw9QZhsMF2hkONGdTXjskAo%2FtuOPGzaShcj6QgNA%2B6qzJBBPDNXUjDjvcRAZwBGbfB90FxTTcGCZnBZarIxjRsQid3IOA4TAiKOeGoetj5RPJl3ADmDjJoAO3v8bqwlqFX6AHDhYeHlr6tyPcnzvvi6WC4UAXJ%2BBNgLqE7F0DRM%2FaQkqknGwLAISCg%2BUvEDnHeD0hh1pqF7f0wICIgt98841QKZ7gH8qKEVlkmaTbDIpiVUDsBP%2FLiV86wVp99zLEN0lOQAOAfXWxJqMGvpxriPbTUzavIGuKDGohNfpQFbdW4EYIl6Gn0BcSagJ9A0dUVA5a%2FnEb0boSbAy%2Fh%2BMyV2Zf6U%2FyataSg0LCcwIhokWtJ7P9B%2BO10yldK8LxjPRS0I%2Fuw%2FM2oRgUXdj3rIf%2FogrcyN642PgpRMGpOuz5ciiJELS1w52t%2FeUk0uqzCWj1F6NcRHFfIBipiYEl0gGH5LEatIftefVBnP0PUvz8%3D>
15 Wives Of The Richest Men In The World
<http://trends.revcontent.com/click.php?d=eJwdVIkNwzAIXAmweTyOMbD%2FCL1UlaJGjnnuS36H1qbrd%2BPHnKM2obqedLkIVx%2BSK5NGUhX9mvCF8rpbnti5uq88Pnz38mVPZl89UX4u6VmL7i6V0KWxRpjIbVyonlf3rjnLcF2r9lwTzSb0ctc6XbId86xasavOq3dXox3runOqMOziRqXXe5%2B7NdRwZnddWrrZjr6vQ41EaVSmj3fSQdHYb8pj2z6L2F5G1ePrdI%2F0vo5hDp7hPHjWmsuZhInzUaekPw1Tkox5r9YGAraWJOpJ5UF7PRpJFc%2FJ5JpnLuAxNo88Sk5iY6Wcmhe2A2%2FEUqZswGszrhY%2FFDxbr6ot8NMXAOdll62NxY%2FtjZ5YJIMb1e%2FGcDTmYemmjQG97B3tHXlqiTOTxDKv8nnNc3tPf2tRsR9X2%2BKH9nupwNYwGcjEItv4lrSrP3okckp7gby3UV3zDqAURpeK4GzvC8yBrtctJbDWEAFAVdF6VvVxC03NY9B0YidamdiDKEbu67d9D2%2Beaueeo0MO4rWT75jkSehlMZQIZmeRXXLQ8y1kDV2CnLgqoMkAEjnLuf0JNM0x3Jy%2BTwSKcXT2OCOQVr4zIwSIKY9JMUDba77iVy6xg0yBAzaVuPOrAD%2F6zADWYij6HW70oK0OHzls8JZBHRBnSjDfwBRJtjO5zz4KkR%2BCUPp0RxpUFKfFwXeDLdDwDeXm4JvgQ3oL3UYxdYShlyqmFG%2BMaiuIOSDJZSM%2BYE6JuNv8E8%2BBDvz5irXwORrw7ny93iQWzHe3c4DKsMEKKX20YgmKO26DXuhxHU605NRa6gsS9pG6MDUu8vYXcA8wOPDQAGmd6RU96kgSGQKsEMNJJAnUAHhmczx4ZhXl23SC17DfCwThnJ33Kbh7XINysNVdq5n4beVDNX5hDqQMy43sAMjUUcfoyL65CYPmNRY978WXJSErgVGuvLV1Pyh6jr1GejUr9rFCEt63%2B9iVzw23XlsCdWaEh3OdzNQPEJFychn4u%2FCB6JTwigckOvSfbMHhV45pgsvE3VDakoy7AubWW8gt%2FMWYGwJHPqkX4nJNZz2sz5YMrdNFyXXqs4AjbvZAl%2BBFsifuJJHAFQkGd0jL%2FqIbQXUITZAvUdS2WGcJtSBt4G5s5QsDnc9wXEEOD88FI3eQnivN3qKAWg1aQpoBTwBRt%2FuAMv7OL7JWuzasmEr3yo6Jj3dDP1qEhNLjU6U4QCKDpTWfYZA5hz9v5A8W08hB>
Top 15 Celebrities Who Have Converted to Islam
<http://trends.revcontent.com/click.php?d=eJwlVIeRAzEIbAkhRChHBPVfgvf%2Bx55xOAmWDZycS6xtdm6Ql%2FHiKprse9ZKjSdus%2Bq%2Bl0Z5PXD%2Blc6cdXepFu%2Bi49lxtHpLmMZ9%2Bzx9kueey%2FZQWzOSuT1UQpRvr6WPaqhTnvv1RSfuxs%2FatWrfmJSSjf6t9Ewqit%2FW0EbTJj%2Bz2zfA6PCoob%2FxA6JoITYg0F3Mruq88KflUNwMse6gtTDPWdXRbwGG6NO%2FCnOOLV7nRbcz1QZS06qDIot8jMojAeAMHXo9zWvWrr2C4rUrpnj3kO3MOXkZFSTSxtqWcmnRd4vU5GiwNSluVrws90OxBffAKCvYF5Bt7O8cDHGWdyhaRc57E9tL2CJ7UehB1VliJptxKFUg0npRL%2B9wTS%2FZ9ZQiqgmgJgSMh9nc66zgLS%2BOg53XUSAXNrDesfjYG7CKt%2FVVFtbt866JsJ9YKlwtDn8o5AqHoNtbltNsmpXvviC5waqm34WCypD8gGuue5c7vKRMSTDWtsOy5MEy157syVxwj250576roc7kIouRZQt%2F4%2Fk9DubpfZPfatYKxWEetxWqWXqgku%2FDbb777XXlLN0DTSjb5n1gwNRZVt8HOkTr%2BAbp0NqVnd%2BrrjG50jRBvCIrXVPrnI0X%2B43N%2F6K%2BzFR4C%2FpRFsx0rC4q8NWrxDFIW3ockAuHIVwwomc2zGwtpxJa7itogTzme0bwzTWDN2zoSlbsdIG4NiyoVo9BOg5GgHHfzwUw3Dqd6lxqyMlL19sgHnbLznE55gVjNVlBKvfGMVQhglFkSjDYYuQX4wt9yXned48jcAp3ynmUyAm9byabg8Gd7MxHT5kYQfhgOHqBn3xbxAIYDfwHJw1T5N53oL%2F42Z0QL0DMVwGBRjckdQfBCKv7JcNPfYeWMBIEJrYwNHsb%2BJFVF7nb3xqBhXZyF%2BVDOp75wXbDtz0FQUEcWyIS5%2Foo5N5jyd%2Bug4FrnVuOYYkPSMIY2gIzWSCzBbLbC0a7VN9OCroXiFn97nVkTlUxKQIKSapbpHbceYS0mUIyxZ5EJDAAcoB9woXHmgu%2BFwFaQmqR5ZN5BO0HixZswkJ4ivhhfS6HU5FAlD79bcgI6C1CAMyM2M9ihIv3Wr0V7D%2FGyoCOE0dwY7BNGpJjdXByxtpx9v0uP2wFx354WGYZPA%2FAUOUHXY2upA%3D%3D>
[image: Inline image 1]

*See our Comments Policy <http://www.timesofmalta.com/comments>*

Comments are submitted under the express understanding and condition that
the editor may, and is authorised to, disclose any/all of the above
personal information to any person or entity requesting the information for
the purposes of legal action on grounds that such person or entity is
aggrieved by any comment so submitted.

Please allow some time for your comment to be moderated.
Similar Stories
<http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160910/opinion/Question-time-The-way-we-speak.624535#>

   - [image: Minding our language]

   Jul 29th 2012, 00:14
   Minding our language
   <http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20120729/technology/minding-our-language.430960>
   - A Babel of languages?
   <http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20131001/opinion/A-Babel-of-languages-.488498>
   - Taking a closer look at children's...
   <http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20090215/education/taking-a-closer-look-at-childrens-writing-skills.244985>
   - How the Maltese heart beats
   <http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20120101/opinion/How-the-Maltese-heart-beats.400585>
   - Maltese as useful communication tool
   <http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20131002/editorial/Maltese-as-useful-communication-tool.488594>
   - Tepot, ħendbeg ‘are not language...
   <http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20131001/local/Tepot-endbeg-are-not-language-council-s-fault-.488497>

Popular Stories [image: Popular Stories RSS Feed]
<http://www.timesofmalta.com/rss/opinion/views>

   1. Heart transplantations
   <http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160909/opinion/Heart-transplantations.624467>
   2. From treasure to trash