[lg policy] Fwd: PhD studies at OISE and York

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:09:54 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <lpren at caltalk.cal.org>
Date: Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 11:32 AM
Subject: PhD studies at OISE and York
To: CAL Language Policy Research Network <lpren at caltalk.cal.org>

CAL Language Policy Research Network
******************************

*Interested in studying language policy, heritage language education,
and/or critical historiography? *

Then we encourage you to apply to OISE’s Language & Literacy Education
graduate program and to York University’s Applied Linguistics graduate
program, where you can collaborate on the *Heritage Languages Program in
Ontario* (HLP) research project.

*About the study*

The HLP project is a critical historiography of an Ontario policy
supporting heritage language education. The policy was first implemented in
1977. It represents one of the first major language education initiatives
in the wake of federal policy-making regarding official bilingualism and
multiculturalism in 1969 and 1971, respectively. However, various
stipulations in the HLP, which remain in place to this day, have relegated
heritage language education to the margins of school life. A series of four
bills was proposed in the provincial legislature between 1978 and 1993 to
strengthen heritage language education; each of them failed.

This study creates a genealogy of this policy to better understand how
language education policy regulates inequality in multilingual contexts
such as Ontario. The study asks: What were the discursive and material
conditions in 1970s Ontario in which “heritage languages” emerged as a
social problem, and which produced the HLP as a policy solution? How did
those same conditions define which individuals and communities would be
included as legitimate policy actors and which would not? What were the
conditions that regulated interactions among policy actors? How did the HLP
affect extant inequalities among official, minority, Indigenous, immigrant,
and signed languages in Ontario?

Data collection to date has focused on Ministry of Education archival
records, as well as on Ontario Teachers’ Federation papers. Also, we have
collected historical media reports on the policy from two major Anglophone
newspapers. We will expand data collection to include archival records from
Toronto-area school boards, additional teachers’ unions, individual
politicians involved with the HLP, and community and activist groups who
lobbied both for and against the policy. We will also create oral histories
with individuals from each of these policy-related communities, and expand
collection of historical media reports to include community newspapers in
other languages.

*Funding opportunities*

All full-time PhD students at OISE receive a funding package that includes
Graduate Assistantship positions. There will be at least one GA-ship
supporting this project. Please note that funding for international
applicants (i.e., applicants who are not Canadian citizens or do not have
Permanent Resident status in Canada) is extremely competitive.

We have applied for external funding to support this project. If
successful, we will use this funding to create Research Assistantship
positions at both York and OISE to support this project. RA-ships are paid
an hourly rate and provide graduate students with additional research
experience and pay over and above their funding package.

For further information on this project, feel free to contact us directly:
Jeff Bale, Associate Professor, OISE, at jeff.bale at utoronto.ca, and Eve
Haque, Associate Professor, York, at ehaque at yorku.ca.

*How to apply*

For more information on OISE’s LLE program, please visit
http://cmsnew.oise.utoronto.ca/llephd/Home.html. The application deadline
is *November 15, 2016.*

For more information on York’s Languages & Linguistics program, please
visit http://lal.gradstudies.yorku.ca/how-to-apply/. The application
deadline is *December 16, 2016*.

In the statement of intent, be sure to mention this project specifically,
along with any previous academic, research, or professional experience
you’ve had in the topics it addresses or the methods it uses.

 LPReN serves as a conduit for the dissemination of information by its
members without implying endorsement of concepts or opinions expressed.

---

You are currently subscribed to lpren as: haroldfs at gmail.com.

ba4b7ee018c64f0139f37618abfaf498&n=T&l=lpren&o=595189

or send a blank email to leave-595189-136109.ba4b7ee018c64f0139f37618abfaf4
98 at caltalk.cal.org

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com