[lg policy] Kenya: Diploma students reluctant to take up loans

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:02:39 UTC 2016

 Diploma students reluctant to take up loans
By People Daily <http://www.mediamaxnetwork.co.ke/author/owuor/>
Date: September 19, 2016
share
0
<http://www.mediamaxnetwork.co.ke/features/253910/diploma-students-reluctant-to-take-up-loans/#>
0
<http://www.mediamaxnetwork.co.ke/features/253910/diploma-students-reluctant-to-take-up-loans/#>
0
<http://www.mediamaxnetwork.co.ke/features/253910/diploma-students-reluctant-to-take-up-loans/#>
0
<http://www.mediamaxnetwork.co.ke/features/253910/diploma-students-reluctant-to-take-up-loans/#>

*James Murimi @Jamesmurymy*

Education Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i has expressed concerns over the
meager uptake of educational loans by students pursuing diploma and
certificate courses in institutions of higher learning.

Matiang’i says that only 70 per cent of the Sh300 million set aside by the
Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) was dispatched to students who had
applied in public universities, university colleges, public national
polytechnics, technology and technical training institutes.

Speaking during the launch of Zetech University’s strategic plan this week,
Matiang’i said the government will continue investing in students pursuing
Science, Engineering, Technology and Mathematics (STEM) diploma courses in
private universities by ensuring that they get access to HELB loans.
However, the CS called on public and private universities to shun offering
diploma programmes but instead focus on degree and other higher courses.

“If you are chartered as a university, you should focus more on degree
programmes. We are looking at constraints we have of space for degree
courses. Why can’t we ask our universities to concentrate on degree
programmes and leave diploma courses to other institutions?” he said,
adding that his ministry is liaising with the Commission for University
Education (CUE) on the issue.

The CS also noted that the ministry will allow the affirmative action
policy to continue in enrollment of students in public institutions, in a
bid to enhance gender parity and all-inclusive education.

“We have to deal with the reality in our society. As a ministry we have a
bird’s eye-view on the spectrum of the country and some regions are
retrogressive with backward social practices, which do not allow girls to
access education,” he said.

He said that the Government will this year dispatch Sh10.3 billion for
HELB, which is the highest amount to be set aside for a students’ loan
programme in Kenya’s history, adding that the amount will be increased
gradually.

“The greatest resource we have in our country is the youth and the
Government is committed to investing in them,” he said. Matiang’i further
announced that he is exploring discussions with his colleagues in the
education sector to make Kiswahili compulsory, even in international
schools that are based in Kenya, so as to expand and develop the language
in the country.

“My ministry and that of ICT, together with other stakeholders, will
address the issue of language policy so that we push further the use of
Kiswahili in more of our national responsibilities and activities as a way
of enhancing its growth,” he said.

http://www.mediamaxnetwork.co.ke/features/253910/diploma-students-reluctant-to-take-up-loans/