[lg policy] Augmented reality, automated translation, and the future of language rights

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Tue Apr 25 10:32:30 UTC 2017

I thought this might be of interest to linguists of varying subdisciplinary flavours,
both for teaching and research, hence the egregious cross-spamming.

I've just published a speculative article on the peer-reviewed website 'Research
Blogging', considering what the future of human-machine integration might mean for
the field of translation, and consequently for the politics of minority languages.

http://www.languageonthemove.com/will-technology-make-language-rights-obsolete/

Amusingly, just this morning, progress was reported already on one of my predictions,
namely machines accurately mimicking people's voices. This could all be old news
pretty quickly!

Enjoy - and of course, feel free to share far and wide!

I've linked this on Twitter as well, which you're more than welcome to retweet :)
https://twitter.com/DaveJSayers/status/856813246828994560

Augmentedly yours,
Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers, ORCID no. 0000-0003-1124-7132
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University | www.shu.ac.uk