[lg policy] Why language is a source of pride for Singaporean Indian millennials

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 15:26:48 UTC 2017

Why language is a source of pride for Singaporean Indian millennials
By Shanthini Selvarajan
[image: Indian millennials between the ages of 18 and 35 define
“Indianness” a little differently from their elders, note the author. TODAY
file photo]Indian millennials between the ages of 18 and 35 define
“Indianness” a little differently from their elders, note the author. TODAY
file photo
Published19 December, 2017
Updated 19 December, 2017

   -

   2 Shares
   -
   -
   -
   -

This year’s Singapore Writers Festival, organised annually by the National
Arts Council, chose as its theme, aram, the Tamil word for goodness.

The line-up included Tamil millennial poets such as Harini, and the
screening of a short Tamil film, Between Pudukottai and Singapore: Poems by
N. Rengarajan.

They touched on the social issues of our time, and drew in many of my young
Indian friends, and non-Indian ones.

An Indian Singaporean millennial —what comes to mind? Would they be donning
high-waist denims and crop-tops, or traditional, intricately embroidered
sarees? Would they prefer ravishing bowls of flaming hot curry and crisp
sheets of prata, or eggs benedict at fancy cafés?

Would they converse more in their ethnic language, English or some
amalgamation of both?

And how does Singapore embrace and nurture a citizenry of diverse
identities, which in turn enrich and strengthen our nation?

Indians form 9.1 per cent of our resident population.

Of these, Tamils make up 54.17 per cent and Malayalees 6.71 per cent, with
smaller groups like the Punjabis, Telugus, Sindhis and Gujaratis making up
the rest.

Indian millennials between the ages of 18 and 35 might just be defining
“Indianness” a little differently from their elders.

It is a more fluid concept for them, not restricted to cultural markers
like food, art, or ethnic wear.

Yet, language remains a great source of pride for them. In fact, the
biggest misperception of Indian millennials involves language.

There is a looming fear amongst older Indians, of a gradual decline in
ethnic language capabilities within the Indian community, which in turn
suggests an erosion of an ethnic identity amongst its youths. This fear is
overhyped.

A recent Channel News Asia-Institute of Policy Studies survey on ethnic
identity found that 81.3 per cent of Indians aged 21 to 25 regard speaking,
writing and reading in Tamil and other Indian languages such as Hindi and
Malayalam to be important Indian identity markers.

Even more, at 84.4 per cent, find it important to transmit skills of
writing and reading in their ethnic language to their children.

Language is important to the young, as it is to older Indians (94.6 per
cent). While Singapore’s bilingual policy might be a key driver of this
attitude, another substantial reason for this love of language amongst
youths might be the sense of belonging that speaking a common ethnic
language offers.

The percentages are much lower for giving their child an Indian name (59.4
per cent), donning ethnic wear (65.6 per cent) or enjoying ethnic cuisine
(45.2 per cent) as ethnic identity markers.

In contrast, older Indians register 93.4 per cent, 81.3 per cent and 81.4
per cent for the respective markers. Older Indians also feel that avoiding
beef (79.7 per cent) and wearing pottus (77.3 per cent) - a dot worn by
women on the centre of their foreheads, often to signify marital status or
to ward off evil - are important Indian identity markers.

Indian millennials do not agree, registering 43.7 per cent and 46.9 per
cent for the respective markers.

At the same time, the extent of our ethnic pride is evident in the
aforementioned CNA-IPS survey: 81.3 per cent of Indians aged 21 to 25 find
it important to take pride in being considered Indian.

LANUAGE AS A SOURCE OF ETHNIC PRIDE

As an Indian, I see countless reasons to be proud of my heritage: from the
visual prowess of Indian art forms such as Bharatanatyam and Kathak, to the
achievements of many prominent Indian figures such as Thamizhavel G.
Sarangapani (a Tamil writer and publisher who had a huge part to play in
the inception of the Tamil language in the Singapore parliament), to the
flavourful richness of Indian cuisine.

However, the most influential of these, for me, is language.

Given Tamil’s status as one of the oldest, richest and most unmodified
languages of all time, it offers me a sense of solidarity with other
Tamil-speaking Indians, across space and time.

The knowledge of speaking, writing and reading this language (albeit at a
mediocre level for me), anchors my ethnic pride.

Tamil unites the young and old in my community; it serves as a medium
through which the young communicate with our predominantly Tamil-speaking
elders.

We most definitely care about preserving it.

Similar sentiments are held by other groups towards their language. A
common language offers a sense of belonging for ethnic groups, particularly
among the minorities, a point of unique differentiation from dominant
cultures. It carves, sustains and reinforces a confident sense of identity.

While the majority of Indian youths care about their ethnic language,
Singapore must guard against the possibility that such an attitude will
change in the future.

For example, the growing number of interracial marriages and marriages
between locals and foreigners in Singapore may lead to greater complacency
amongst Indian youths to preserve their ethnic language.

How do we sustain this love for our language?

First, Indian youths must remain cautious of cultural erosion and in a
pre-emptive move, must channel greater effort into participating in Indian
culture.

This has to be a national effort. Ethnic languages are more likely to
survive and flourish in Singapore if they have the ardent support of their
respective ethnic groups, and the respect and understanding of the broader
society.

For the Indian community, there are traditional events organised by and for
us. There are also national events like the Singapore Writers Festival,
which offer a space for the major groups in Singapore to enjoy and share
the beauty of their respective mother tongues.

They are opportunities for Indians and non-Indians to learn about the
languages through art, and in the process, help to preserve them in the
Singapore space.

In sum, while young Indians such as myself, may be Westernised in some
aspects, such as in the clothing we don or the media we consume, our ethnic
pride stands as ardent as ever.

As may be expected in Singapore, I can have my prata, and my friend her
prata with eggs benedict, at a prata place off Upper Thomson Road.

I remain Singaporean, Indian, young and proud.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Shanthini Selvarajan is a Research Assistant at the Institute of Policy
Studies, National University of Singapore.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com