[lg policy] Fwd: [Linganth] CDC Language ban

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 15:46:46 UTC 2017

 Forwarded From: Steven Black <stevepblack at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Linganth] CDC Language ban
To: Eric Henry <Eric.Henry at smu.ca>, "LINGANTH at listserv.linguistlist.org" <
LINGANTH at listserv.linguistlist.org>

Hi Eric and all,

It *is* a struggle over words, but obviously not just words; and these
words and their application shape policy and practice, as Charles Briggs
and his co-authors have demonstrated in their analysis of
biocommunicability. Communication and health are co-constitutive. In
comparative perspective, Susan Blum and I have been discussing how some of
the particulars of the “ban” fit a much broader pattern of conservatives
co-opting concepts and thus altering their meaning to fit their policy
agenda. For instance, “colorblind” was once a key term in affirmative
action policies, whereas now it is used by those who are dismantling
affirmative action. “Religious freedom” was once central to discourses
about allowing religious diversity and separation of church and state,
whereas now it means not having to serve cakes to LGBTQ persons (among
other more serious reprocussions). And in this latest ban, “community
wishes” is central to public health/ med anth, where it is used to
encourage culturally-sensitive public health efforts, but now it is being
used to mean *not* being sensitive to the needs and wishes of entire
segments of the population—namely not attending to the perspectives/ needs
of LGBTQ communities—but instead attending to the perspectives of a
dwindling but powerful segment of far-right groups. Susan Blum, Lal Zimman,
and I are currently working on a brief piece outlining this and other ling
anth perspectives on the subject. Keep your eye out for it!

Happy winter solstice!

Steve

Steven P. Black // Study Abroad in Costa Rica! Visit:
http://www.studyabroad.gsu.edu/?go=GlobalHealthChallenges// Department of
Anthropology // Georgia State University // P.O. Box 3998 // Atlanta, GA
30302-3998 // (404) 413-5168