[lg policy] Micronesia: Jonas Barcinas named head of Chamorro- Carolinian Language and Heritage Studies

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:49:08 UTC 2017

 Jonas Barcinas named head of Chamorro- Carolinian Language and Heritage
Studies
<http://www.mvariety.com/cnmi/cnmi-news/local/92584-jonas-barcinas-named-director-of-chamorro-carolinian-language-and-heritage-studies>

   - [image: Print]
   <http://www.mvariety.com/cnmi/cnmi-news/local/92584-jonas-barcinas-named-director-of-chamorro-carolinian-language-and-heritage-studies?tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=>
   - [image: Email]
   <http://www.mvariety.com/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&template=ja_teline_iv&link=31f1f540c5f2c90917d195ae48bc9845bb161d85>

31 *Jan* *2017*
By Junhan B. Todiño - junhan at mvariety.com - Variety News Staff

EDUCATION Commissioner Cynthia Deleon Guerrero on Monday appointed Hopwood
Middle School principal Jonas Barcinas as the new program manager of
Chamorro-Carolinian Language and Heritage Studies.

The commissioner also named Koblerville Elementary School principal
Rizalina R. Liwag as the acting principal of Hopwood while KoES vice
principal Jeremiah Benavente will be the Koblerville school’s acting
principal.

All the appointments took effect Monday.

After eight years as Hopwood principal, Jonas Barcinas will assume the
leadership of the CCLHS program which aims to promote and preserve local
languages and traditions.

“I thank principal Jonas Barcinas for his willingness and readiness to step
up in our need to work with our public school students in a larger
capacity,” Education Commissioner Deleon Guerrero said Monday.

CCLHS was being managed by two program managers. One of them passed away
about two years ago, while last week the remaining manager assumed another
position, she said.

“So we have to make some critical and hard decisions. With Jonas leading
our CCLHS program, we are responding to and recognizing one of our
priorities,” the education commissioner added.

[image: Education Commissioner Cynthia Deleon Guerrero and other Public
School System officials join Hopwood Middle School faculty and staff in
giving principal Jonas Barcinas, standing center, the “Hilitai chant.”
Barcinas is the new director of Chamorro-Carolinian Heritage Studies.
Contributed photo]

Education Commissioner Cynthia Deleon Guerrero and other Public School
System officials join Hopwood Middle School faculty and staff in giving
principal Jonas Barcinas, standing center, the “Hilitai chant.” Barcinas is
the new director of Chamorro-Carolinian Heritage Studies. Contributed photo

Lawmakers earlier reminded PSS management of the need to fill the vacancy,
and local and federal funding for the program could have been affected had
the manager's position not been filled, Variety learned.

Deleon Guerrero said Barcinas’s vast experience wil be very beneficial to
the CCLHS program.

“We need strong leaders like him who can help our students,” she added.

Liwag, Hopwood’s acting principal, said the PSS central office “really
needs Jonas.”

Liwag, who is currently pursuing a doctorate in teaching and learning, has
been with PSS for 25 years — 16 years in the teaching profession and nine
years as a principal.

“Wherever we are needed, we are ready to serve,” she added.

Benavente, the acting principal of KoES, has been vice principal since
2012, and he believes he is ready for his new duties.