[lg policy] Fwd: CFP: 2017 Language Policy & Planning Conference, moving to Toronto

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 15:32:17 UTC 2017

 Forwarded From: <lpren at caltalk.cal.org>
Date: Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 5:17 PM

CAL Language Policy Research Network
******************************

Dear Colleagues,

After five successful years hosted by Tom Ricento at the University of
Calgary, the annual Multidisciplinary Approaches in Language Policy and
Planning conference is moving to Toronto. Eve Haque and I are serving as
conference co-chairs, and we are looking forward to welcoming you to
Toronto and to the conference on *August 24–26, 2017*. The conference will
be held at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of
Toronto, 252 Bloor Street West in downtown Toronto.

We sent an announcement of the conference in last October; this
announcement is to clarify that the website is now available for you to
submit abstract proposals.

We are very excited to welcome the following *plenary speakers* at this
year’s conference:

·         *Thomas Ricento (University of Calgary)*

·         *Marnie Holborow (Dublin City University)*

·         *Nelson Flores* (University of Pennsylvania)

You can find full bios for the speakers here
<https://wordpress.oise.utoronto.ca/lpp2017/plenary-speakers/> (
https://wordpress.oise.utoronto.ca/lpp2017/plenary-speakers/).

*With respect to paper and colloquia proposals:*

We continue with this conference’s tradition of welcoming papers and
colloquia that approach language policy from a variety of theoretical and
methodological perspectives, and in a variety of contexts, from the
local/institutional to the national/global.

Abstracts of up to 300 words are welcome that address topics such as (but
not limited to):

·         Official & non-official language policies

·         Language-in-education policies

·         Language attrition, language revitalization, and language policies

·         Heritage language policies

·         Language policy and political economy

·         Language policy, globalization, and superdiversity

·         Language policy and the workplace

·         Language policy and lingua franca

·         Language policy and Indigeneity

·         Language policies and transnational communities

·         Language policy, signed languages, and Deaf studies

·         Language policy and anti-racism/anti-oppression

·         Language policy and political theory

·         National identities and language policy

In addition to these general themes, we have identified a specific focus
for the 2017 conference. Summer 2017 marks two important anniversaries in
Canadian language education policy:

·         In June 1977, the province of Ontario initiated its Heritage
Languages Program

·         In August 1977, the province of Quebec passed Bill 101: The
Charter of the French Language

These were among the first major language education policies implemented in
Canada after the federal government’s activity around the Official
Languages Act of 1969 and the Official Multiculturalism Act of 1971. Given
this important milestone, we invite papers that explore either of these two
policies specifically, their relationship to federal and/or other
language-policy activity in Canada, as well as the challenges associated
with historiographical study of language policy/language education policy.
We especially encourage authors to propose 90-minute colloquia on the topic.

The deadline for abstract submissions is *Tuesday, February 28, 2017*. We
will update you as soon as the ConfTool site is ready to go so you can
upload your abstracts.

Abstracts will be reviewed anonymously by at least two experts in the
field. Final decisions will be sent to authors by April 15, 2017.

Each paper presentation should be 30 minutes, including discussion time.
Colloquia can be for 100 minutes (3 papers) and 180 minutes (up to 6
papers). Papers should be presented in English. You can submit a maximum of
two contributions, one as first/sole author and one as second author or
discussant.

For more information, please visit our website at https://wordpress.oise.
utoronto.ca/lpp2017 or contact us by e-mail: OISE.LPP at utoronto.ca. You will
see on the website that we are still working on finalizing certain details
about this year’s conference; we will update you on our progress as soon as
possible.

We look forward to seeing you in Toronto in August 2017!

Kind regards,

Jeff Bale & Eve Haque

—

Jeff Bale

Associate Professor of Language and Literacies Education

Department of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning

Ontario Institute for Studies in Education

University of Toronto

252 Bloor Street West, 10-260

Toronto, ON M5S 1V6

416.978.0296 <(416)%20978-0296>

 LPReN serves as a conduit for the dissemination of information by its
members without implying endorsement of concepts or opinions expressed.

---

You are currently subscribed to lpren as: haroldfs at gmail.com.

ba4b7ee018c64f0139f37618abfaf498&n=T&l=lpren&o=596213

or send a blank email to leave-596213-136109.ba4b7ee018c64f0139f37618abfaf4
98 at caltalk.cal.org

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com