[lg policy] Canada: Despite improvements, language gaps at QGH continue: Nunavut

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 16:05:40 UTC 2017

Despite improvements, language gaps at QGH continue: Nunavut minister “It’s
a continual challenge to make sure the staff we have are familiar with
terminology"STEVE DUCHARME
[image: Nunavut Health Minister George Hickes said language services at the
Qikiqtani General Hospital are improving, but his department still has work
to do on the issue. (PHOTO BY STEVE DUCHARME)]
Nunavut Health Minister George Hickes said language services at the
Qikiqtani General Hospital are improving, but his department still has work
to do on the issue. (PHOTO BY STEVE DUCHARME)

Nunavut’s health minister, George Hickes, says his department is making
progress in responding to complaints of poor language services at the
Qikiqtani General Hospital, brought to light last year in a critical report
by the Office of the Nunavut Languages Commissioner.
<http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/article/65674inuktitut_french-speaking_patients_receive_inferior_care_at_iqaluit_ho/>

But there is still much to do, Hickes said.

“Are we satisfied where we are now? No,” Hickes said in response to
questions Feb. 24 from Iqaluit-Niaqunnguu MLA Pat Angnakak in Nunavut’s
legislature.

“There are gaps, I recognize that and its something I deal with on a
continual basis.”

Nunavut’s Office of the Language Commissioner, in a report tabled in May
2016, discovered that Nunavut’s largest hospital effectively had no
language policy, as revealed in an investigation covering the period from
March 2012 to March 2013.

Most hospital services were only available in English, the report found,
resulting in severe problems for non-English, unilingual Inuktitut speakers
in communicating and receiving treatment at the hospital.

“There is often a lack of Inuktitut interpretation at the hospital,
especially for in-patients who have to stay there for an extended period of
time,” Angnakak said, asking if Hickes could provide the chamber with exact
numbers for translators working at the hospital.

Hickes replied that the number in interpreters available at QGH fluctuates,
saying that often “we have to rely on casual workers.”

Specialized terminology for interpreters is currently taught in dedicated
modules at the Nunavut Arctic College interpreter-translator program, which
currently provides specialized terminology modules for its students, and
Hickes, who called on more Nunavummiut to consider careers in the field.

“It’s a continual challenge to make sure the staff we have are familiar
with terminology so that they can express in a clear and concise manner to
our patients to make sure that they are aware and understand the
circumstances,” he said.

Providing French-language services, Hickes admitted, is another matter
entirely.

“One of the challenges that we have, providing French services, it can be a
more infrequent request than Inuktitut services,” he said.

“We do rely on existing staff to provide and supplement the translation
services for French,” Hickes said, adding the health department is in the
process of hiring a French speaker for its Office of Patient Relations.

Nunavut MLAs created the office in 2013 in an effort to address longstanding,
often-ignored grievances
<http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/article/65674after_years_of_grievance_nunavut_launches_new_patient_complaint_office/>
from patients and families of patients.

Hickes credited the office for reducing the number of complaints and
identifying key areas of concern for his department.

“I can say with all confidence that the conditions are more open and more
conducive to positive relationships with our patients,” he said.

“Personally I don’t get as many complaints as I’m sure former ministers may
have had.”

While the complaints might be ebbing, health care in Nunavut and its
sensitivity to non-English cultures was once again dragged to the forefront
after a coroner’s report—released earlier in February—included language
services
<http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/article/65674gn_health_care_failures_led_to_mothers_death_nunavut_couple_says/>
as a contributing factor in the death of Annie Kootoo in 2015.

Hickes, responding to questions from Iqaluit-Sinaa MLA Paul Okalik, said
Feb. 22 in committee of the whole that Kootoo’s death was “heartbreaking.”
<http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/article/65674iqaluit_womans_death_heartbreaking_nunavut_health_minister_says/>

“Just for the sake of the public and for all members here, we don’t wait to
react to reports such as this,” Hickes said, saying his department’s review
of Nunavut Coroner Padma Suramala’s report on the incident is already
underway.

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/article/65674despite_improvements_language_gaps_at_nunavut_hospital_continue_health/