[lg policy] Happy New Year from the Sociolinguistic Events Calendar!

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Tue Jan 3 19:52:24 UTC 2017

Hello subscribers! (If you don't subscribe, why not? Do so here:
http://www.baal.org.uk/slxevents.html.)

In 2016 we hosted 287 events on our little calendar; and 2017 already has 93 events
scheduled! Last year's prize for the first conference of the year went to the 12th
International Conference on Theoretical Issues in Sign Language Research, which
kicked off on 4th January! Personally I still wouldn't fit into
conference-appropriate clothing so soon after Christmas, but they got in their first
and won this prestigious honour of ours. The prize for this year's first entry goes
to the 91st Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America, which starts on 7
Jan and is so big it contains other conferences inside it! (Two others are listed on
the Calendar.)

Google Calendar doesn't show how many people subscribe to each of its calendars, but
ours must be pretty popular because our site http://www.baal.org.uk/slxevents.html is
usually the 1st or 2nd Google result for 'sociolinguistic events' and
'sociolinguistic conferences'. Go us!

By 'us', I mean me and the crack team of volunteer moderators: Fergus O'Dwyer
(University of Münster), Elena Xeni (University of Cyprus), Joshua SJ Bengough-Smith
(University of Sheffield), Anna Belew (University of Hawaii at Manoa), Victoria
Odeniyi (University of Leicester), Valerie Freeman (Indiana University), and a new
moderator just joined, Amie De Jong (University of Washington).

As well as the Calendar itself, we've produced two surveys into what makes conference
attendees happy, unhappy, elated, berated, confused, amused, celebrated and
inebriated: https://www.academia.edu/14266444/, http://www.academia.edu/26782739/.
Essential reading for organisers and delegates alike! Rumours about what this year's
new survey will be about are already beginning to rumble. Watch this space for more...

Last but not least, if you're planning a conference, summer school, public lecture,
or other sociolinguistic event that you want to publicise widely, if no one else can
help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... the A-Team... I mean us!
Get in touch with any of us listed on the calendar website:
http://www.baal.org.uk/slxevents.html. And as I mentioned at the start, make sure to
subscribe! (Instructions on that page.)

Dave (on behalf of the Sociolinguistic Events Calendar team)

--
Dr. Dave Sayers, ORCID no. 0000-0003-1124-7132
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University | www.shu.ac.uk

---