[lg policy] Professor Tope Omoniyi (Sky) has passed away

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Thu Jun 1 07:28:15 UTC 2017

Professor Tope Omoniyi (Sky)

This memorial has been created in memory of our wonderful husband and father

Professor Tope Omoniyi

We will remember him forever.

He leaves behind his wife Karen, his children Tife Nisha, Onaayo Mara and Feranmi as well as his elderly mother, siblings and in-laws.  We all loved him dearly.

Sky touched the lives of so many people in different places around the world so we wanted to create a space for people to share memories and photos so that we, and all of those who loved him, can celebrate the life of this beloved and cherished man, who we miss so very much.

https://www.forevermissed.com/tope-sky-omoniyi/#about

Shared by Viv Edwards on 05/31/2017

Below is an obituary prepared by some of Tope's colleagues

Born in 1956 in Kaduna State, Nigeria, Tope Omoniyi - known to many of his friends as Sky - completed a BA and M.Phil at the University of Lagos, where he also taught, before being awarded a scholarship for a PhD at the University of Reading. This was to be the springboard for an international career spanning the National Institute of Education, Singapore, Trinity College, Dublin, the University of West London and Roehampton University. At Roehampton, he rose to the position of Professor of Sociolinguistics and also served as Director of the Centre for Research in English Language and Linguistics. Given the regrettable reality that very few Africans have achieved professorial status in a UK university, it goes without saying that it takes an individual of exceptional talents to carve out such a route.

Full text:
https://www.forevermissed.com/tope-sky-omoniyi/#stories