[lg policy] CFP: Linguistic Dominance and Inequality

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Tue Jun 20 09:32:21 UTC 2017

CALL FOR PAPERS

Conference Linguistic Dominance and Inequality, Malmö University, Sweden, Nov 15-16

The Department of Language and Linguistics at Malmö University is hosting the conference Linguistic dominance and inequality on 15-16 November 2017. With this conference, we aim to contribute to the sharing and spreading of research on issues relating to linguistic dominance and inequality.

We invite workshop presentations on the following interrelated subthemes:

  *   Multilingual urban settings

  *   The role of language in widening participation to higher education

  *   Academic and professional language and the status of English

The conference theme Linguistic dominance and inequality is for several reasons topical in Sweden today and in particular the city of Malmö. It is a truly multilingual city, where more than 40% of the population is born abroad or has parents born abroad. Malmö University has a strong commitment towards widening participation in higher education. English in Sweden is taking on a role as a second rather than foreign language, which poses additional language learning challenges for those immigrants who have with limited prior exposure to English.

Link to conference webpage

http://blogg.mah.se/sps/research/linguistic-dominance-and-inequality/

Key dates

Abstract submission deadline: September 5th 2017
Outcome of decision process by: September 15th 2017
Conference dates: November 15th-16th

We look forward to seeing you at the Linguistic dominance and inequality conference.

Sincerely,
Professor Karina Vamling, PhD General Linguistics
Chair of the conference organizing committee