[lg policy] India: Sitharaman in favour of three-language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 15:50:11 UTC 2017

 Sitharaman in favour of three-language policy
×
Says students should be given right to choose

Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Nirmala Sitharaman on
Tuesday said that the three-language policy should be implemented in order
to give the students more choice.

Even as she praised the qualities of Sanskrit at The Madras Sanskrit
College, Ms. Sitharaman said that students should be given the right to
choose. “I am not talking about denigrating a language. I am only reminding
us to implement an already-existing policy...This is not only about Tamil
Nadu; I am not even talking about the New Education Policy,” she said.

The Minister was interacting with journalists after launching the Digital
Campus of the college at its Mylapore campus. The college has moved to make
its resources available online at digital.madrassanskritcollege.edu.in. A
beginners’ couse, with 30 lessons spanning a 16-week period, is now
available online. S. Ramadorai, Chairman of the Governing Board of TISS,
was also present at the event.

“I think the efforts of this institution in asking the CBSE to follow the
three-language-formula are not to push only Sanskrit, but to follow the
three-language-formula, give options to the students,” Ms. Sitharaman said
in her address.

She said that Sanskrit should be one of the choices, saying she will work
towards the implementation of the policy. “I will fully be in support of
it. I will definitely meet Prakash Javadekar to tell him that there is a
need to be truthful to what was given to us,” she said.

Mr. Sitharaman said that she had learnt Sanskrit herself at Tiruchy’s
Seethalakshmi Ramaswami College, which helped her cognitive abilities.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-tamilnadu/sitharaman-in-favour-of-threelanguage-policy/article17425263.ece