[lg policy] Australia: Integration core in new multicultural policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 15:28:45 UTC 2017

Integration core in new multicultural policy
<http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/a418efe7ae76059421176274fb49d46f?width=1024>A
premium has now been placed on citizenship, with a strengthened obligation
to demonstrate allegiance to Australia and English as the national
­language. Picture: DFAT

   - The Australian
   - 12:00AM March 20, 2017
   - Save
   <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/integration-core-to-australian-identity-in-new-multicultural-policy/news-story/45a28c82a4a1f4d8ede71c8661c582f3#>
   -
      - Share on Facebook
      <http://facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaustralian.com.au%2Fnational-affairs%2Fintegration-core-to-australian-identity-in-new-multicultural-policy%2Fnews-story%2F45a28c82a4a1f4d8ede71c8661c582f3&t=Integration%20core%20to%20Oz%20identity>
      - Share on Twitter
      <https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaustralian.com.au%2Fnational-affairs%2Fintegration-core-to-australian-identity-in-new-multicultural-policy%2Fnews-story%2F45a28c82a4a1f4d8ede71c8661c582f3&text=Integration%20core%20to%20Oz%20identity>
      - Share on email
      <?subject=Integration%20core%20to%20Oz%20identity&body=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaustralian.com.au%2Fnational-affairs%2Fintegration-core-to-australian-identity-in-new-multicultural-policy%2Fnews-story%2F45a28c82a4a1f4d8ede71c8661c582f3>
      - Share more...
      <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/integration-core-to-australian-identity-in-new-multicultural-policy/news-story/45a28c82a4a1f4d8ede71c8661c582f3#share-tools>
   - 352
   <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/integration-core-to-australian-identity-in-new-multicultural-policy/news-story/45a28c82a4a1f4d8ede71c8661c582f3#comments>
   - Simon Benson <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/author/Simon+Benson>
   <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/author/Simon+Benson>
   National Political Editor
   Sydney
   @simonbenson <http://twitter.com/simonbenson>

Australia’s national identity will be redefined along fundamental
principles of integration, citizenship and unity in a pointed shift away
from welfare entitlement, in the first multicultural statement by a federal
government to also recognise the impact of ­terrorism on the nation’s
social fabric.

In a landmark departure from the 2011 statement delivered by then-Labor
prime minister Julia Gillard, the Turnbull government has ­included for the
first time a list of individual freedoms, including freedom of speech, as
core Australian values. The statement, ­released to *The Australian *ahead
of its launch today, is a rejection of multiculturalism as a vehicle for
grievance and identity politics.

The government has dropped past emphasis on equitable access to welfare and
services for new ­migrants, and instead promotes values of opportunity,
self-reliance­ and aspiration.

In an implicit reference to the controversial provisions of section 18C of
the Racial Discrimination Act, it has moved away from Labor’s past
reference to the use of the “full force of the law” while denouncin­g
­racism and discrimin­ation, and promoting mutual respect­.

A keystone of the document is the inclusion of white Australia — British
and Irish settlers — in a broadening of the definition of multicultural
Australia to beyond ethnic minorities and indigenous people. Introducing
“integration” as the core principle over ethnic segregation to guide
government policy, the statement signals a delibera­te shift away from the
­emphasis placed on services articulated by Labor.

A premium has now been placed on citizenship, with a strengthened
obligation to demonstrate allegiance to Australia and English as the
national ­language as “critical” features of ethnic integration.

   - More: ANALYSIS: We’re best immigrant nation
   <http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/link/1b07d0d672e5eb6ba5e8b6630e5e55af?domain=theaustralian.com.au>
   - More: ‘I’m welcome with a headscarf’
   <http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/link/6d11670a13c5ad67b48b74e1a61883ac?domain=theaustralian.com.au>

The chairman of the Australian Multicultural Council, Sev ­Ozdowski, said
the document marked a profound change and ­returned the underlying
principles to those established under the Hawke government, when the
definition of multiculturalism was an inclusive policy. “I think it is an
important move … it takes multiculturalism away from identity politics … it
makes it a policy for all of us,” he told *The Australian*.
[image: The chairman of the Australian Multicultural Council, Sev Ozdowski,
<http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/36acf3cfe384377c0d324c8619af7ad8?width=1024>The
chairman of the Australian Multicultural Council, Sev Ozdowski, said the
document marked a profound change and ­returned the underlying principles
to those established under the Hawke government.

The Assistant Minister for Socia­l Services and Multicultural Affairs, Zed
Seselja, said it was a document that stamped the ­Coalition government’s
view of multicultural Australia, with the substantive difference ­between
it and previous government statements being the introduction of a core
principle of integration. “I think a focus on common ­values was critical,
and a focus on unity and citizenship, rather than an emphasis­ to services
and welfare, which is not the main game,” he said*.* “It is about all of
us, whether we arrived last week or whether our ancestors have been here
for hundreds or thousands of years.”

Terrorism and border protection have been recognised for the first time as
a threat to social ­cohesion, with an unambiguous repudiation of behaviour
that ­“undermines Australian values”.

“Underpinning a diverse and harmonious Australia is the security­ of our
nation,” the ­statement says. “The Australian government places the highest
priority on the safety and security of all Australians.

“Recent terrorist attacks around the world have justifiably caused concern
in the Australian community. The government ­responds to these threats by
continuing­ to invest in counter-terrorism, strong borders and strong
national security.

“This helps to ensure that Australia remains an open, inclusive, free and
safe ­society. In the face of these threats, however, we do not compromise
on our shared values and national unity.”

The document infers recip­rocal rights and obligations, claiming that
“regardless of cultural­ background, birthplace or religion, everyone in
Australia or coming to Australia has a responsibi­lity to engage with and
seek to understand each other, and reject any form of racism or violent
­extremism”.

“We take responsibility for fulfilling our civic duties,’’ it says.
“Prac­tices and behaviours that undermine our values have no place in
Australia.”

The inclusion of a set of “freedoms” fundamental to Australian values marks
a further divergence from previous statements. “Our commitment to freedom
is fundamental,” it says. “We support freedom of thought, speech, religion,
enterprise and association.”

The statement is the first since the Gillard government’s 2011 document,
which focused on strengthening access and equity policies to “ensure that
government programs and services are responsive to the needs of Australia’s
culturally and linguistically diverse communities while responding­ to
expressions of intoleranc­e and discrimination with strength and, where
necessary, with the force of the law”.

Mr Ozdowski said the document reflected a national policy for all
Australians. “It brings back those dimensions established by Hawke and
Keating with a focus on multiculturalism for all Australians … not a policy
statement on welfare or for particular ethnic groups, or ­religions or
refugees,” he said, adding that the use of the word integration did not
reflect a US policy of assimilation but recog­nised people must accept
Australian values while bringing new ideas and connections.

Senator Seselja said the government had included national ­security to
address “the elephant in the room” and it reflected a need to promote
social cohesion.

Malcolm Turnbull said that during a time of increased anxiety over
terrorism, it was important to reaffirm what should be Australian values.

“We are defined not by race, religion or culture, but by shared values of
freedom, democracy, the rule of law and equality of ­opportunity,’’ he said.