[lg policy] lists of languages in which health care advice may be available, in the US

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue May 2 18:49:49 UTC 2017

Dear Members of lgpolicy-list:

Some time ago I mentioned in a message to the list that I had received a
list
of languages that could be used to access help for US recipients of health
care. I am not clear whether this is something put out by the US Department
of Health and Human Services, or if it is something private--it is not
clear to me who
sent out this list.  What is interesting is how many languages are listed,
each with a 2-line statement about how to phone for help.  Presumably there
will be speakers of those languages at the other end.

What is interesting to me is what the language policy is:  who decided
which language (altogether around 60) would be listed, and which would
not.  As I
mentioned earlier, one can call both for Deitsch and for Deutsch, and there
are many languages I don't recognize, mostly because the message is written
in a special script peculiar to that language.

I don't want to burden any of you by attaching copies of these documents, so
if this topic interests you, please let me know and I'll forward the 3
pages.  I
scanned them today and the outcome was not beautiful, but beauty is not
what we're interested in here.

Best,

HFS