[lg policy] India: Gurung writes to Mamata for exemption from 3 language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sat May 27 14:46:06 UTC 2017

Gurung writes to Mamata for exemption from 3 language policy Amitava
Banerjee | 26 May 2017 3:14 PM | Darjeeling, West Bengal Gurung writes to
Mamata for exemption from 3 language policy Bimal Gurung, Chief Executive
of the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) shot a fax to Chief
Minister Mamata Banerjee appealing for exemption of the three language
policy in which Bengali is a compulsory subject for Darjeeling, Terai and
Dooars. "On May 15, Education minister Partha Chatterjee had made the
announcement of making Bengali a compulsory subject in schools. Following
this, the CM had written on a social network site about the plan to
implement the three language policy including Bengali as a compulsory
subject. In 1961, Nepali was declared as one of the official languages of
Bengal. In 1992, Nepali was included in the 8th Schedule of the Indian
Constitution. We feel this it is a forceful imposition of Bengali language
in an area which is completely different. We have our own language, culture
and traditions," stated Roshan Giri, in charge of Education, GTA. Giri said
a fax has been sent to the CM seeking exemption in Darjeeling, Kalimpong,
Terai and Dooars. The GTA has also called for a meeting of all hill school
heads, intellectuals, civil society representatives and literary figures on
May 30 at Gorkha Ranga Mancha at 11 am

Read more at: *http://www.millenniumpost.in/kolkata/kolkata-243956
<http://www.millenniumpost.in/kolkata/kolkata-243956>*