[lg policy] GJM calls for protest against 3-language policy in Hills

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed May 31 15:27:04 UTC 2017

GJM calls for protest against 3-language policy in Hills Amitava Banerjee |
30 May 2017 1:30 PM | Darjeeling, West Bengal A cloud of uncertainty looms
large with a Gorkha Janmukti Morcha agitation lined up from June 1. This
time, the issue is the three language policy including Bengali as one of
the subjects mulled by the Bengal government. The GJM has dubbed this as a
forceful imposition of the Bengali language and has lined up an agitation
which includes two-day closure of all educational institutes in the Hills;
protest marches and display of black flags. GJM Chief Bimal Gurung held a
meeting with heads of Hill schools and colleges; organisations like the
Nepali Sahitya Sammelan and representatives of the civil society at the
Gorkha Ranga Mancha in Darjeeling on Tuesday. Addressing the gathering,
Gurung gave a clarion call to the Hills to unite against the three language
policy. "All political parties including the Hill TMC should join hands
with us to stop this infringement. It is a violation of our fundamental
rights. How can a language be forced upon us? It is nothing to do with
politics but concerns ourcommunity and our language. It is a conspiracy to
strangle our community, language and culture. We will not tolerate this. If
required, we could call general bands in the future," retorted Gurung.
Announcing the agitation programme, Gurung stated that all educational
institutes will remain closed on June 1 and 2 as a mark of protest. "We
will take out protest rallies sporting black badges and bands from June 4
to June 8 throughout the Hills. In Darjeeling, regular protest rallies will
be taken out from Ghoom to the Collectorate. I will be present in the
rallies held in Darjeeling. We will submit memorandums to the District
Magistrate. Permission or no permission we will go ahead with the rallies.
I ask all to join in these protest rallies," stated Gurung. He further
asked the Hills along with the Terai and Dooars to display black flags from
June 1 as a mark of protest. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is scheduled to
visit the Darjeeling Hills from June 4 to June 8. Though no official
communication has arrived yet regarding the CM's Hill itinerary, sources
state that she will be visiting Mirik on June 4 where she will be
announcing developmental programmes. She will be in Darjeeling till the
8th. On 8th, a Cabinet meeting has been lined up in Darjeeling. The meeting
is scheduled to be held at the Raj Bhawan in Darjeeling. Recently, there
has been some flashpoints between Morcha supporters and the police for
bringing along school students in protest rallies. With the agitation lined
up during the CM's visit, chances of confrontations loom large. Any
untoward incident at this point especially with the ongoing tourist onrush
will make matters worse.

Read more at: *http://www.millenniumpost.in/kolkata/kolkata-244552
<http://www.millenniumpost.in/kolkata/kolkata-244552>*