[lg policy] Extended Deadline: Language and Borders Conference, Bristol (UK)

James Hawkey james.hawkey at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Nov 2 10:31:19 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

To give everyone one last chance to get their abstracts in, we’ve extended the deadline for abstract submissions to the upcoming Language and Borders conference (now 14th November). So you have two more weeks to send us something!

Hopefully see you there,
James and Kristine

__

LANGUAGE AND BORDERS: RETHINKING MOBILITY, MIGRATION AND SPACE

UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL (UK) 26 MARCH – 27 MARCH 2018

Deadline for abstracts: 14 November 2017

The widespread movement of people and their linguistic repertoires has contributed to growing pressure on the model of the nation-state and related notions of linguistically and culturally homogeneous societies. Supposed homogeneity of communities is contingent on the notion of the border as a device of containment. However, in light of increased population movement, recent multidisciplinary approaches seek to capture the complex qualities of the border as both a locus of mobility (a line to be crossed – a bridge) and a site of enclosure (an untraversable barrier – a wall). So what are borders, how are they constructed and how do they impact our lived experience? Additionally, how can sociolinguistic and cognate research enhance our understanding of the interface between language and borders?

In this context, it has become increasingly urgent to reconsider how ‘migration’ is theoretically conceptualized, especially because ‘migration’ itself has become a salient object of contemporary discourse. This objectification and frequent vilification of migration potentially casts a shadow on the complex and diverse forms of (im)mobility that social actors experience, be it in relation to their own (im)mobility or that of others. Discussion of the roles of borders, mobility and migration in sociolinguistic research encourages us to reflect on the broader concept of space, and on its role in the formation and perpetuation of language ideologies. At this conference, we aim to address a number of questions, including:

- What constitutes a border for sociolinguistic researchers? What linguistic practices do borderlanders engage in?
- As sociolinguists, what can we learn from multidisciplinary approaches to border studies? What insights can be drawn from advances in geography, sociology, history, anthropology, politics and cultural studies?
- How do different sociolinguistic methodological frameworks (qualitative, quantitative, mixed) address borderland scenarios.

Confirmed Keynote Speakers: Brigitta Busch (University of Vienna), Carmen Llamas (University of York), Clare Mar-Molinero (University of Southampton).

This conference invites contributions from researchers in a range of disciplinary backgrounds, whose work focuses on the role of language in relation to borders, mobility, migration, and/or space. The conference has been generously supported by the British Academy’s ’Tackling the UK’s International Challenges’ initiative, as part of an ongoing project by Dr James Hawkey (Bristol) and Dr Kristine Horner (Sheffield).

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION. Please submit an abstract of no more than 300 words via the Linguist List EasyAbs portal: http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/langbord2018. Deadline: 14th November 2017.

Provisional conference fee: £70 full-price, £40 reduced rate for postgraduate students.

For information, contact James Hawkey: james.hawkey at bristol.ac.uk<mailto:james.hawkey at bristol.ac.uk>

—
Dr James Hawkey
Lecturer in Spanish and Catalan Linguistics
Department of Hispanic, Portuguese and Latin American Studies
School of Modern Languages
University of Bristol

Tel: +44 (0)117 331 7170
Website: http://www.bris.ac.uk/sml/people/james-w-hawkey/index.html