[lg policy] Language in the age of Fake News, Fox News, and Trump™

Baron, Dennis E debaron at illinois.edu
Fri Nov 3 16:06:18 UTC 2017

After a 5-month hiatus (I was finishing a book), the Web of Language is back:

Language in the age of Fake News, Fox News, and Trump™

Everyone likes to pick apart the language of politicians, but it’s the job of linguists to pick apart everybody’s language, from the everyday to the very rare, from the learned and refined to the rough and tumble, from the main streets and gated communities to the empty lots and back alleys. We come up with stunning insights about language for a living, and so far as analyzing political language, well, you could say we eat it for breakfast. But the age of fake news, Fox News, and Trump™—all of them synonymous to some extent—is challenging our long-held beliefs about how language works. . . .

read the full post here: http://bit.ly/2yqG2Zu

And next up, to whet your appetites: Miranda (Ernesto, not Lin-Manuel) and the Louisiana Supreme Court denial of cert in the “lawyer dog” case.

Dennis