[lg policy] Fwd: [Linganth] Update on Catalan independence, identity & language

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 15:08:20 UTC 2017

Forwarded From: Woolard, Kathryn <kwoolard at ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 2:51 PM
Update on Catalan independence, identity & language

Dear colleagues,

Catalan politics and identity are in the international news again. On Sept.
11, ca. one million people again demonstrated in Barcelona in favor of the
referendum on independence still controversially scheduled for Oct. 1. No
matter what happens, it will be interesting.

Since it’s relevant, I’m sending you the link to my recent book from Oxford
on Catalan language and identity politics, which I didn’t do when it was
first published. Here also is a link to the interview about the book that
Ilana Gershon recently posted on CaMP.

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/singular-and-plural-9780190258627?q=
woolard&lang=en&cc=us

https://campanthropology.org/2017/08/14/kit-woolard-singular-and-plural/

Some of you have asked me for media material for teaching about the Catalan
situation; here are a few recent links:

Spanish-medium:

A pretty sympathetic report on the 9/11/17 demonstration, despite the
anti-independence editorial stance of news source. Includes a short and
polished video with a heartstring-plucking soundtrack.

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/politica/20170911/el-
independentismo-presiona-por-el-referendum-6279140

English-medium:

Catalan/Catalanist news in English:

http://www.ara.cat/en/

Book of short pro-Catalan opinions, including by sociolinguists, “What’s Up
with Catalonia?” (2013; 2nd ed. forthcoming)

http://files.cataloniapress.com/files/WhatsupCATcc.pdf

The English-speaking media generally have blind spots about facets of the
Catalan situation, but here are latest reports from the Guardian and NYT,
for some standard views:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/11/catalonia-
barcelona-independence-national-day-diada

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/world/europe/barcelona-
catalonia-independence-demonstration.html

I hope you find some of these sources useful for your teaching or own work.
Thanks for listening!

All best,

Kit Woolard

Professor Kathryn A. Woolard

Department of Anthropology, 0532

UCSD

9500 Gilman Drive

La Jolla, CA 92093-0532

kwoolard at ucsd.edu

Recent book:  https://global.oup.com/academic/product/singular-and-
plural-9780190258627?q=woolard&lang=en&cc=us

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com