[lg policy] English in the EU after Brexit

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Fri Apr 6 12:59:28 UTC 2018

I thought this might be of interest to list members, a short piece on BBC Radio 4's
Today programme this morning, about the future use of English in EU institutions:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09xcsp0#t=1h43m28s (that link should take you
straight to 1h43m28s into the programme; if not just scroll along). For reference,
the paper they're referring to in the piece is here:
https://doi.org/10.1111/weng.12264 (open access, happily).

I've also recorded the piece for people to download, as iPlayer will only have it for
a month: https://is.gd/Z1cfEX. (By the way, allow me to recommend https://is.gd/ as a
free and ethical alternative to other URL-shortening services; you can never be too
morally superior!)

Lastly, I suppose I would be in a dereliction of duty if I didn't shamelessly plug my
own recent co-authored article on language hierarchies in the EU:
https://www.academia.edu/35815469/ (credit to my co-author for writing the
legal/institutional first half of the article, which is most relevant here).

Enjoy!

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers, ORCID no. 0000-0003-1124-7132
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University | www.shu.ac.uk