[lg policy] Gauteng: Language no longer a bar to school - Policy can’t keep kids out anymore

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 14:53:36 UTC 2018

 <https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/south-africa/>
Language no longer a bar to school - Policy can’t keep kids out anymore
By Yoliswa Sobuwa - 16 April 2018 - 12:11
<https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-04-16-language-no-longer-a-bar-to-school-policy-cant-keep-kidsout-any-more/#>
<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?via=SowetanLIVE&text=Language+no+longer+a+bar+to+school+-+Policy+can%E2%80%99t+keep+kids+out+anymore&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sowetanlive.co.za%2Fnews%2Fsouth-africa%2F2018-04-16-language-no-longer-a-bar-to-school-policy-cant-keep-kidsout-any-more%2F>
<https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sowetanlive.co.za%2Fnews%2Fsouth-africa%2F2018-04-16-language-no-longer-a-bar-to-school-policy-cant-keep-kidsout-any-more%2F&media=http%3A%2F%2F%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2FjMr27v5ZlRsqv2qeNd5JnmVD4_A48jXqfiDiIH0KmOlyscKbXujS5uH_w7wI-MVRKMWRVIO-WZHj71NmitSM6NQGhtIt1_L1AVM&description=Policy+can't+keep+kids+out+any+more>
<?subject=Recommended
for you: Language no longer a bar to school - Policy can’t keep kids out
anymore&body= %0A%0A I found this great article via SowetanLIVE and thought
you’d like to read it too: %0A%0A
www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-04-16-language-no-longer-a-bar-to-school-policy-cant-keep-kidsout-any-more/%0A%0A>
<https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-04-16-language-no-longer-a-bar-to-school-policy-cant-keep-kidsout-any-more/#>
[image: Parents of Grade 1 and 8 pupils in Gauteng are being encouraged to
use the online school application for 2019 at
https://www.gdeadmin.gdeadmissions.gov.za. / SANDILE NDLOVU]
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jMr27v5ZlRsqv2qeNd5JnmVD4_A48jXqfiDiIH0KmOlyscKbXujS5uH_w7wI-MVRKMWRVIO-WZHj71NmitSM6NQGhtIt1_L1AVM=s1200>
Parents of Grade 1 and 8 pupils in Gauteng are being encouraged to use the
online school application for 2019 at
https://www.gdeadmin.gdeadmissions.gov.za. / SANDILE NDLOVU

Gauteng parents can choose which school they want their children to go to
without being forced to select certain schools based on their demographics
and language.

Today the online school applications for 2019 officially open for parents
to apply for Grade 1 and 8 pupils around Gauteng.

Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi said they did not expect any technical
glitches because the system had been modernised to take up to 30000 parents
applying at the same time.

"We only experienced technical glitches in 2016, but I can assure you that
our system was enhanced on storage capacity and 30000 hits per second will
go through without fail," Lesufi said.

Lesufi said even though the 5km radius determining where parents can apply
for school was enforceable the department was consulting on a feeder zone
policy.

This means if a school near to your home is full you can be referred to
another even if it is outside the 5km radius.

Lesufi said parents were allowed to apply at five different schools and at
any school regardless of the school's language policy.

The use of language in schools admission became a contentious issue earlier
this year, with the department taking Hoerskool Overvaal, an Afrikaans
medium school, to court for refusing to admit 50 pupils to be taught in
English.

"If the numbers are convincing we will go back to the school to tell them
to change their language," Lesufi said .

Parents can apply using their cellphones, computers or visit their nearest
district offices.

"For those parents who are computer literate or don't have data, we have
provided three areas of registration," Lesufi said.

"They should go to libraries in their communities or the nearest district
offices, and we will also identify schools that will do registrations."

Applying happens in three stages; parent/legal guardian details, learner
details and applying to the school.

The system also accommodates people from outside the country.

The applications period will close next month and the placement of pupils
into schools will start on July 18.

The process will be completed on October 31.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com