[lg policy] Watchdog tells councils told to mind language barriers

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 14:14:58 UTC 2018

   - Watchdog tells councils told to mind language barriers
   <http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-43895356#>
   - 8 hours ago
      - Share this with Facebook
      <http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-43895356#>
      - Share this with Twitter
      <http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-43895356#>
      - Share this with Messenger
      <http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-43895356#>
      - Share this with Email
      <?subject=Shared%20from%20BBC%20News&body=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fuk-wales-politics-43895356>
      - Share
      <http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-43895356#share-tools>
   Image copyright Getty Images

   Nearly half of Welsh councils do not have a formal policy to reduce
   language barriers for people who are deaf or speak little English or Welsh.

   The Wales Audit Office [WAO] report also found at least one, unnamed,
   health board lacked formal policies.

   Around 84,500 people in Wales said their main language is not English or
   Welsh and some 7,200 use sign language.

   Assistant Auditor General Anthony Barrett said public services needed to
   ensure everyone can access them.

   The report, entitled "Speak My Language", said "all of the 15 councils
   [out of 22] and seven NHS bodies that responded to our information request
   had provided some training for at least some of their staff such as
   face-face training and guidance as well as displaying posters, e-training
   and putting information on their intranet.

   "However, less than half of the organisations responding had a formal
   policy detailing their duties and/or citizen's rights in relation to
   interpretation and translation.

   "The policies differed in detail but all provided information about the
   process for booking interpretation and translation.

   -
   <?subject=Shared%20from%20BBC%20News&body=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fuk-wales-politics-43895356>

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com