[lg policy] Mother Languages Literature Festival Calls For National Policy For Protection Of Languages

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 15:08:05 UTC 2018

   <https://www.urdupoint.com/en/pakistan/mother-languages-literature-festival-calls-fo-263124.html>

Mother Languages Literature Festival Calls For National Policy For
Protection Of Languages

Faizan Hashmi <https://www.urdupoint.com/en/team/faizan-hashmi.html> 2 days
ago Sat 17th February 2018 | 08:13 PM
[image: Mother Languages Literature Festival calls for national policy for
protection of languages]
Speakers at 3rd Mother Languages Literature Festival (MLLF) stressed upon
need to formulate national policy for integration, protection and promotion
of all mother languages of Pakistan, and declare the mother languages as
National Languages, alongside Urdu

ISLAMABAD, (UrduPoint / Pakistan Point News - 17th Feb, 2018 ):Speakers at
3rd Mother Languages Literature Festival (MLLF) stressed upon need to
formulate national policy for integration, protection and promotion of all
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/all.html> mother languages of
Pakistan <https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/pakistan.html>, and
declare the mother languages as National Languages, alongside Urdu.

The panelists urged the parliamentarians to draft comprehensive legislation
for mainstreaming the distinct regional culture, documentation of
endangered languages. Indus Cultural Forum (ICF)-a voluntary organization
of literary and cultural activists- joined hands with Lok Virsa and
Strengthening Participatory Organization (SPO) in 2016
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/2016.html> to arrange first of
its kind and unique festival.

This year festival is sponsored by Sindh
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/sindh.html> Government's
Department of Culture, Tourism and Antiquities, Foundation Open Society
Institute (FOSI), Lok Virsa and Heinrich Boll Stiftung (HBS). In her
keynote address to the inaugural session, renowned Sindhi and Urdu fiction
writer, playwright and activist Noorul Hada Shah said that culture is
source of human integration, social harmony and peace in the society that
"we direly need during these defining circumstances.

" She said the call for promotion of mother languages will not harm the
federation rather bring societies close to each other.

"Languages are source of expression only, they lead
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/lead.html> to ultimate language-
the language of love and co-existence. We should never consider diversity
as conflict." ICF Chairman Niaz Nadeem shared the background and detailed
program of the two-day festival and highlighted that like every year, over
100 writers, poets and artists representing up to 20 languages are
participating in the sessions.

There will be over 20 sessions in addition to opening and closing
ceremonies as well as musical evenings on both days. "We are also marking
the 70th anniversary of Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and
there will be dedicated session to pay tribute to Asma Jehangir.

Over 20 new books of mother languages on fiction poetry and history will
also be inaugurated at the festival." Acting Country Director of Heinrich
B'll Stiftung Pakistan
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/pakistan.html> Jacqueline Wilk
said she loved Pakistani culture, especially as student
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/student.html> of the
anthropology, "I have always been fascinated by the cultural and linguistic
diversity of Pakistan
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/pakistan.html>.

This rich heritage is a strength of Pakistan
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/pakistan.html> as a society at
large and a distinguished feature of its past and present. However many
people I met across the country are not aware of this diversity and the
different shades of what it can mean to be a "Pakistani".

I am therefore glad and very excited about this excellent initiative of
Mother Languages Literature Festival to be held here in Islamabad
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/islamabad.html> to celebrate the
plurality of Pakistan
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/pakistan.html>". She said the
Heinrich B'll Stiftung is proud to be partnering with such a dedicated and
committed group of volunteers like the Indus Cultural Forum and are looking
forward to an excellent event
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/event.html>.

Dr Saba Gul Khattak, proposed for establishment of Pakistan
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/pakistan.html> Cultural Fund for
fund generation to be utilized for promotion and preservation of culture in
Pakistan <https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/pakistan.html>. She
insisted for local resourcing for culture-related funds, and the
governments should play their role as well.

She said culture guarantees human rights, and education
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/education.html> in mother
language confirms proper learning for kids. ECO Science Foundation (ECOSF)
and Pakistan <https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/pakistan.html>
Science Foundation (PSF) have sponsored two fun filled days for youth and
children to promote science culture.

Society for Alternate Media
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/media.html> and Research (SAMAR)
have also supported in the organization of different aspects of the
festival. On this occasion book stalls, showcasing books from
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/from.html> different Pakistani
languages, will also be established to provide easy access to literature in
these languages.

A great number of people from
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/from.html> all
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/all.html> over the country and
abroad are expected to attend the Festival. The participants in the opening
session paid tribute to Asma Jahangir
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/asma-jahangir.html>, noted human
rights activist who recently died
<https://www.urdupoint.com/en/latest-news/died.html>, and observed