[lg policy] Scottish schools to receive extra £3 million to help pupils learn languages

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 15:26:52 UTC 2018

 Scottish schools to receive extra £3 million to help pupils learn languages

Author: *Katrine Bussey*, 20 February 2018

   -
   <https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/school-to-receive-extra-3-million-to-help-pupils-learn-languages/?share=facebook>
   -
   <https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/school-to-receive-extra-3-million-to-help-pupils-learn-languages/?share=twitter>
   -
   <https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/school-to-receive-extra-3-million-to-help-pupils-learn-languages/?share=googleplus>
   -
   <https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/school-to-receive-extra-3-million-to-help-pupils-learn-languages/?share=email>
   -
   <https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/school-to-receive-extra-3-million-to-help-pupils-learn-languages/?share=reddit>
   -
   <https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/school-to-receive-extra-3-million-to-help-pupils-learn-languages/?share=linkedin>

(Getty Images/iStock)
[image: Register for our free newsletter]Register for our free newsletter
<https:////passport.dctdigital.com/?page=email&default-brand=The+Sunday+Post&auto-subscribe=Sunday+Post+-+Newsletter&default-group=Newspapers>

*SCHOOLS are to get an extra £3 million to help pupils learns foreign
languages.*
2017 Miata RF Review: The Miata For All Occasions

The Miata RF could easily be your only car. The RF makes the best case yet
for year round Miata o...
Read more
Promoted by inPowered

The Scottish Government announced the additional cash, with Employability
Minister Jamie Hepburn saying it would help give young Scots the skills
they need to succeed in a “global marketplace”.

It will go towards a scheme that starts teaching youngsters additional
languages as early as primary one.

The 1+2 language policy sets out that children should start learning a
foreign language in their first year at school, with a second introduced by
the time they are in P5.

Students will continue learning additional languages including Mandarin,
Gaelic and British Sign Language as well as European languages until at
least the end of S3, the government said.

The new funding for 2018-19 takes the total spent on language learning to
£27.2 million since 2013.

Ministers hope the additional spend will build on a rise in the number of
students studying languages at Higher and other levels.

Mr Hepburn said: “Learning languages in today’s global, multi-cultural
world is becoming more crucial than ever.

“Research shows that employers strongly favour candidates with language
skills and we want to ensure young Scots are equipped with the skills they
need in the global marketplace.

“That is why introducing school children to languages at a young age and
helping them to foster a long-lasting love of languages is so crucially
important.

“Our 1+2 language policy supports this ambition and I’m pleased to announce
we are allocating a further £3 million to schools in the 2018-19 draft
budget, bringing our total investment to £27.2 million since 2013.”

Mr Hepburn announced the new funding during a visit to St Ambrose High
School in Coatbridge.

Headteacher Ellen Douglas said: “St Ambrose High is committed to ensuring
that modern languages is given its rightful place in the school curriculum
and I’m delighted to learn that the national commitment to promoting modern
languages will continue with the additional funding being announced by the
minister today.

“Young people live in an increasingly global village and marvellous
economic, cultural and social opportunities are created where the barrier
of language is removed.

“Future prosperity requires to be underpinned by good communication in
order that communities can remain competitive and enjoy the mutual benefits
of working towards a common purpose.”

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com