[lg policy] Hoërskool Overvaal : Protesting parents say school is only option for children

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 15:32:14 UTC 2018

Hoërskool Overvaal : Protesting parents say school is only option for
children

Protests at the Vereeniging school entered a third on Friday. Demonstrators
have been calling for an end to the schools Afrikaans only language policy.
[image: The Hoërskool Overvaal on 19 January 2018. Picture: Thando
Kubheka/EWN]
The Hoërskool Overvaal on 19 January 2018. Picture: Thando Kubheka/EWN

   - Hoerskool Overvaal <http://ewn.co.za/Topic/Hoerskool-Overvaal>
   - Hoerskool Overvaal case
   <http://ewn.co.za/Topic/Hoerskool-Overvaal-case>

Thando Kubheka <http://ewn.co.za/Contributors/thando-kubheka> | about 22
hours ago

VEREENIGING - A parent of one of the 55 pupils whose child wasn’t admitted
into Hoërskool Overvaal
<http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/19/hoerskool-overvaal-parents-urged-to-send-pupils-to-school>
says he simply wants his child to be accepted at the school as his family
lives in the area.

Protests at the Vereeniging school entered a third on Friday.

Demonstrators have been calling for an end to the schools Afrikaans only
language policy.

Bafana Mthimkhulu was one of the protestors demonstrating.

He says his message is clear.

“We want our kids to be accepted here, basically that is that. Because we
are residents, we are staying around here.”

He says he doesn’t have money to take his child to another school.

“The problem is that if my kid is supposed to move from this school to
another school, who is going to subsidize me? Who is going to give me money
for transport?”

Protestors have made it clear they’ll continue with their demonstrations
until the school changes its language policy.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com