[lg policy] President of Ireland, Michael D Higgins will be the keynote speaker at a symposium on Conradh na Gaeilge

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 14:29:16 UTC 2018

President of Ireland, Michael D Higgins will be the keynote speaker at a
symposium on Conradh na Gaeilge and the Revival of Irish which will be held
at NUI Galway on Friday next, June 15.

The day-long symposium, ‘125 Bliain ag Fás – An Athbheochan agus Conradh na
Gaeilge’, is the University’s main event for Bliain na Gaeilge, which marks
the 125th anniversary of the establishment of Conradh na Gaeilge.

The event also celebrates the decision of Conradh na Gaeilge in 2017 to
deposit its archives in NUI Galway. An archivist has recently been
appointed to catalogue the archive, including some material to be selected
for digitisation.

Dr John Walsh, Senior Lecturer in Irish at NUI Galway and symposium
organiser, said this event includes papers on a range of research topics
related to 125 years of the Revival. Researchers and leading public figures
will speak about this topic and draw attention to the fantastic research
opportunities presented by the Conradh na Gaeilge archives.”

“The Conradh na Gaeilge archive is a very significant resource for teaching
and research and is a major addition to the University’s extensive Irish
language collections”, said James Hardiman Librarian, John Cox.

Speaking about this symposium, NUI Galway President, Professor Ciarán Ó
hOgartaigh said the Irish language is uniquely and centrally important to
the mission and ethos of NUI Galway, our heritage and our hinterland.

“By holding the archive of Conradh na Gaeilge in trust for scholars and the
Irish nation our University will act as custodian of an important part of
the history of our language. We’re proud to do so and we look forward to
the new perspectives for international scholarship which the archive will
offer.

“This symposium serves as a major contribution to Bliain na Gaeilge,
marking 125 years of Conradh na Gaeilge, and will enable scholars and
language policy makers to reflect on language development over the past
century while also looking to the future of the Irish language.” Along with
President Higgins, speakers will include: Alan Esslemont, Ard-Stiúrthóir of
TG4;Dr Mary Harris of the Department of History, NUI Galway; Professor
Regina Uí Chollatáin, UCD; Cuan Ó Seireadáin, Conradh na Gaeilge ; Dr Hugh
Rowland, Acadamh na hOllscolaíochta Gaeilge, NUI Galway ; Dr John Walsh,
Department of Irish, NUI Galway and Professor Tadhg Ó hIfearnáin,
Department of Irish, NUI Galway

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com