[lg policy] Welshpool Town Council will learn lessons from language gaffe

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 14:38:32 UTC 2018

21st June Welshpool Town Council will learn lessons from language gaffe
Elgan Rhodri Hearn
<http://www.countytimes.co.uk/author/profile/171960.Elgan_Rhodri_Hearn/>
[image: Welshpool Town Council Transport Festival Poster at the Town Hall
Welshpool..Picture by Phil Blagg.PB327-2018-1.]

Welshpool Town Council Transport Festival Poster at the Town Hall
Welshpool..Picture by Phil Blagg.PB327-2018-1.
<http://www.countytimes.co.uk/my/account/emailthispage/>
0 comments
<http://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/16304972.Welsh_gaffe_by_Town_Council_is_criticised_online/#comments-anchor>

"NOT even Google translate could have got it that wrong and Welshpool Town
Council should be ashamed of itself."

Comments made online by Welsh speakers who have criticised a translation
into Welsh of a banner by Welshpool Town Council.

Behind the Town Hall Welshpool Town Council have placed a banner
advertising this weekend's Transport Festival, with Free Park and Ride from
the Livestock Market.

The Welsh version should read: "Gwyl Trafnidiaeth Canol Dref, Parciwch a
Theithiwch and Ddim o'r Farchnad Da Byw."

But the mangled translation is: "Gorau Cludiant Canol Dref, Parc a Chride
am Ddim o Farchnad Livestock."

Which when converted back to English reads: Transport Town Centre and there
is no such word as "Chride."

In Wales, Welsh has the same status as English as an official language.

Public bodies such as County Councils, the Welsh Government and Police work
bilingually and service users can expect to be spoken or written to in the
language of their choosing.

There is an expectation that Town and Community Council, such as Welshpool
Town Council will follow soon.

Indeed next week Welshpool Councillors will be discussing it own Welsh
language policy.

The County Times asked Town Clerk, Robert Robinson, to explain the error.

Mr Robinson, explained: "I have no idea.

"When we do something in Welsh, we end up being told it's not the right
type of Welsh.

"We do have a Welsh Language Plan that we are working towards and it will
be dealt with by Councillors."

Cllr David Senior, has been working towards getting Welshpool Town Council
to become more Welsh language friendly.

Cllr Senior, said: "When I passed the banner and I saw it, I did wonder if
it might have been better just not to have the Welsh version as it is
clearly embarrassing.

"We will learn lessons from this, the council is being criticised for
making an effort which is better than in the past.

"The Welsh Language Policy will be coming before us at the next council
meeting and several of us have been campaigning to makes sure that we do
more and better.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com