[lg policy] Parents demand hindi language classes in private schools

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 14:53:24 UTC 2018

 Parents demand hindi language classes in private schools

Several parents of kids studying in private schools are making an unusual
request to school authorities.

Published: 23rd June 2018 05:53 AM  |   Last Updated: 23rd June 2018 05:53
AM   |  A+A A-
By Express News Service

BENGALURU: Several parents of kids studying in private schools are making
an unusual request to school authorities.According to a few school
authorities, many parents are asking them to teach their  children an
additional language — Hindi — from this year.

An ICSE school principal said, “As the state government made learning
Kannada language mandatory from Class I this year, many parents are
approaching us to teach Hindi to their kids, along with Kannada.”
According to private school authorities, CBSE and ICSC schools are facing
this issue because of their two-language policy. As state-board schools
have three-language policy, Hindi is taught as the third language.
While a few CBSE and ICSE school authorities said that they cannot teach an
additional language, a few schools have agreed to conduct weekend classes.
A CBSE school principal said, “This will be an added pressure on kids as
well as on schools. But parents don’t understand this. If we object, they
threaten to withdraw admissions.”

Dr B Gayethri Devi, principal of Little Flower Public School, said, “We are
trying to convince parents about the pressure on kids if we impose one more
language. Despite this, parents who are from other states are requesting
for an alternate arrangement. Considering this, we decided to conduct
weekend classes.”
D Shashi Kumar,  general secretary of the Associated Management of Primary
and Secondary Schools in Karnataka, said, “The issue has already been
discussed at the government level but, because the election code of conduct
was in place, it was not taken forward. We will again approach the
government on the issue.”
Ads by Kiosked <http://kiosked.com/>

Stay up to date on all the latest Karnataka
<http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/karnataka> news with The New Indian
Express

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com