[lg policy] Ukraine: Parubiy calls on parliament to adopt new language law

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 15:50:25 UTC 2018

 [image: Parubiy calls on parliament to adopt new language law]
Parubiy calls on parliament to adopt new language law
01.03.2018 12:08
169
Verkhovna Rada Chairman Andriy Parubiy has said that the cancellation by
the Constitutional Court of the law on the principles of the state language
policy, which was adopted in 2012, opens up the way for the adoption of a
new language law.

He said this at a parliament meeting on Thursday, an Ukrinform
correspondent reports.

"The decision of the Constitutional Court opens up the opportunity for us
to consider and adopt a new language law. I ask political factions to hold
consultations on those [draft] laws that were registered in parliament so
that we can discuss them and reach a positive decision of the Ukrainian
parliament," Parubiy said.

He stressed that the constitution remains the major law that outlines the
principles of the state language policy, in particular Article 10, which
says that Ukrainian is the state language of Ukraine.

On February 28, 2018, the Constitutional Court recognized the law of 2012
on the principles of the state language policy as not complying with the
Constitution of Ukraine.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com