[lg policy] Fwd: [Linganth] teaching the "language gap"

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:19:30 UTC 2018

Forwarded From: Arnold, Lynnette <lynnette_arnold at brown.edu>
Date: Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 6:58 AM
 [Linganth] teaching the "language gap"

Dear colleagues -

The SLA Conference is right around the corner, and the Language and Social
Justice Committee is preparing an exciting workshop with several breakout
sessions focusing on different themes.

One of these workshops will be focused on "teaching the language gap", and
in preparation, a group of us (myself, Netta Avineri, and Sarah Braden) are
gathering teaching materials on the "language gap", a topic many members of
the LSJ have currently written about. If you have taught on this topic, we
encourage you to submit your teaching materials: lectures, lesson plans,
discussion questions, activities, etc. The goal is to create a database of
teaching resources to be shared with other members of LSJ/SLA, to help us
bring our social justice work into our teaching.

If you are interested in contributing teaching materials: please upload
them to the google drive folder linked here
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B008IaQ7OnyIfmFPT2lrdkhKcmY4TlR0MXV5aWJ1QnhBWFY4LWpnSUZaTi1rbDh3M2JoN2M?usp=sharing>
(be sure to label the files clearly with an informative title). Then, to
help us track what kind of materials we have, as well as what level of
sharing you are comfortable with, enter a description of the materials in
the google drive spreadsheet linked here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1celXA-xXGkHNDtkmD09K0eld4nTPX6d9KQ_xqMzeEbw/edit?usp=sharing>
.

Please send along your submissions *by Wednesday, March 7th* (the day
before the SLA conference begins), to help us launch our session at the LSJ
Workshop.

(We are also working to develop a complete bibliography of writing that
presents an anthropolitical linguistic approach to the "language gap."
There is a document in the folder linked above, entitled "Language Gap
Publications" that is a provisional bibliography. We welcome any and all
additions: please put the citation in the document and add any associated
links or PDF files.)

Thanks in advance!

--
Lynnette Arnold, PhD